PC as a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm currently building a new pc to use as a NAS, and was wondering if its possible to use it as a router as well, given that I'm having trouble with my current one.

Is there any program or soemthing out there, which will work with Windows (since this NAS would probably be used for some other function as well) which will allow the PC to run like a router as well?

CMH said:
I'm currently building a new pc to use as a NAS, and was wondering if its possible to use it as a router as well, given that I'm having trouble with my current one.

Is there any program or soemthing out there, which will work with Windows (since this NAS would probably be used for some other function as well) which will allow the PC to run like a router as well?

Yes but you'll have to run Linux OS software to do both.. Clark Connect the free version can do that. NAS is based on Samba and Flexshares technology works nicely with Windows file shares. Using Clark Connect as your router works but you'll need a very modern system which is fast. Well you could run it on PIII 900MHz 512KB of RAM but really would be slow.

So Clark Connect PC would be your router and NAS all-in-one, it can also be file server, mailer an etc..

Clark Connect main site
http://www.clarkconnect.com/

Clark Connect comparison/features versions
http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/compare.php

Well, I am buying a new computer to do this, and its gonna be powered by a not-too-shabby E1200...

Is it possible to keep to windows? Its probably going to be my spare computer or something, and I do use alot of non-windows programs...

CMH said:
Well, I am buying a new computer to do this, and its gonna be powered by a not-too-shabby E1200...

Is it possible to keep to windows? Its probably going to be my spare computer or something, and I do use alot of non-windows programs...

The way these software routers work is this:

Run Linux OS

You can access the Interface on your Windows PC through a browser. There is Windows base software router but not cheap, there is also another one that runs in Windows called. NetVeda Safety-Net

What is it?
NetVeda Safety.Net offers detailed reports about application and network activity and allows you to apply rules to network computer that use your machine as Internet gateway.

So with most hardware routers you buy at the store or online they're setup as 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway they also take care of your DHCP Clients so each PC would have IP address of 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0254.

Now when you do it with software router like with NetVeda you basically have to depend on this software to protect your network as PC will become you router. You can then share folders to act as NAS.

Some examples of how this would work on Windows

one PC
home_user_deploy.gif

More than one PC
home_office_deploy.gif

If you installed Windows Server 2003 it has a software router NAT. I don't know why you want to use a PC as router. It would be better just to get hardware router they range from $39 and up. Best way to go and less problems as software router tend to crash a lot more.

Thanks for that advice.

I am having problems with my hardware router, as its requiring a restart every so often.

And given that I've got this computer as a spare, to do all the crappy tasks around the house, I was just wondering if using it as a router is feasible.

If you're telling me that installing a software router will cause it to crash more, then I'm probably not interested, since its supposed to be a solution to crashing in the first place.

CMH said:
Thanks for that advice.

I am having problems with my hardware router, as its requiring a restart every so often.

And given that I've got this computer as a spare, to do all the crappy tasks around the house, I was just wondering if using it as a router is feasible.

If you're telling me that installing a software router will cause it to crash more, then I'm probably not interested, since its supposed to be a solution to crashing in the first place.

Well it depends on what you use... If you turn one into a Linux box or Live CD one(these just use the CD you don't have to install anything and a floopy or thumb USB is used to store your configuration) Again these are for Linux an etc..

If you guy a DLINK DIR-655 A3 hardware with 1.11 firmware or higher that's pretty rock solid router today. This is what I use and recommend. Sure you have to pay more but the extra money it's worth it. Not saying to go overboard like with new DLINK DIR-855 is very expensive.

Just to let you know if the router is rebooting then the hardware has a problem. Even if you update the firmware , reset it a couple of times and still does the same rebooting then that router is just plain and sample bad! They don't last forever on average the very cheap ones for $39 bucks should last for 2 years depnds on you use it though. Heavy downloading 2 years. Light downloading and just surfing 3 years. DIR-655 is heavy duty router so it's made for heavy downloading, streaming HDTV all over the home wireless and wired. It has N but I am not using N but G since everything I use is G. It has Gig ports also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back