pc as ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

how would i setup my pc as a ftp server?
so i can download files from my computer her in the uk to my other one in belgium?

You can either set up an FTP server via IIS or you can install some other FTP server daemon such as WarFTPd or one of many others. If you have a firewall up make sure you open a port to the ftp port you choose (21 is default). You can get WarFTPd at www.jgaa.com (it's great if you've used a unix anything before) and from what I've read it's one of the most secure ones if you can figure out how to use it. If you decide to use it and have any questions about it just ask - I've used it for years.

Plenty of free ftp servers out there and if basic file transfer is your goal, then any of them will do.

In addition to port 21, you maye have to open a couple of ports for passive mode data transfer. This is needed in case the client side happens to be firewalled.

If you want access to _all_ the files in your computer, then simple FTP may not be a good idea because FTP is insecure by nature and you expose the entire contents of your hard drive.

You can specify what folders you want to share when you set up your FTP server. You have even have multiple folders in different places as mount points (share points)

sorry, dantrag

but the correct spelling............is "which"...........not, "witch" ........."which" is some old hag "witch" riding around on a broomstick...........since you're from Belgium, the same place "which" spawned Alex........i'll cut you some slack ;) ...............

Originally posted by LNCPapa
You can either set up an FTP server via IIS or you can install some other FTP server daemon such as WarFTPd or one of many others. If you have a firewall up make sure you open a port to the ftp port you choose (21 is default). You can get WarFTPd at www.jgaa.com (it's great if you've used a unix anything before) and from what I've read it's one of the most secure ones if you can figure out how to use it. If you decide to use it and have any questions about it just ask - I've used it for years.

Note to dantrag: I strongly suggest you do not use MS IIS for your FTP server. The amount of exploits out for IIS FTP, even patched, is just plain pathetic.

One win32 FTPd I have found easy to use and feature rich is serv-v FTPd, found here:

http://serv-u.com

One that I tried last year, but didn't think the world of, was FastStreamP2PFTP / netstream :

http://www.fastream.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back