TechSpot

PC Boots up only after CMOS reset

By szlose
Apr 25, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. So the problem is quite simple and yet very strange.

Every time I turn off my PC, it wont turn on again until I press reset CMOS button on the motherboard.
    What WILL happen before I decide to press the button is this:
    1. I press power button.
    2. PSU turns on for half a second.
    3. Some click sound happens.
    4. PC turns off.

The whole process is repeated infinitely.

The computer is about 2 years old and this problem hasnt occured before. Also I didnt make any changes prior to this problem.

note1: after I press reset cmos button, the pc works perfectly once is boots up... I can (if I want to) make changes to bios even and it will work. It only has problem to turn on from "powered off" position.
    note2: I will add detailed specs if needed but I really dont think its neccessary.
    note3: I dont make any changes to bios after I reset it using the button.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The power supply might be failing...

3. szlose

szlose TS Rookie Topic Starter

I honestly doubt it. The PSU is Corsair 760W (one of the better quality ones) and I bought it 6 months ago.

But is there any way to rule it out? Other than buying other psu ofc

4. Tmagic650

CMOS battery dead?

5. szlose

I used a battery from other PC and nothing changed. I will buy a new battery tomorrow.

However, does it really make sense that battery can cause this?

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Any power supply can fail, even good brands. That's why there is a warranty period. Do you have access to another power supply to test with?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. szlose

I can ask around so I will definitely check this out AFTER I buy a new battery for the motherboard.

8. szlose

SOLVED (at least for now)
    I got a battery from another factory new motherboard :)D) and it fixed the issue.
    TLDR Brand new battery == win.

ps. its weird how ive never hard to replace battery in computers that ive used way longer than this one...

9. Tmagic650

The motherboard may have been laying on a shelf for a long time before being sold