PC Bootup Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!

My PC seems sick. I've been building my own for years and never had a problem with them.

Last night, I was in the other room and noticed I heard my PC reboot. I didn't think much of it until I heard it again. I then went in and started to look for a problem and it just rebooted in front of my eyes. Just went black and to the main BIOS boot screen.

When I got it to boot up, windows wanted to generate a report. I let it and it said it was a graphics card driver problem. After a while, it did the self-reboot again and this time, when it generated a report, it said divice driver problem. I began to think those reports meant nothing.

I tried it again after yet another self-reboot and it simply just locked up. Rebooted again, tried to search for problem and it just blanked out again and this time got stuck in the BIOS screen.

Now, when I power up, I hear the drives and fans power up but the BIOS wont even come up.

So, I look out everything: cards, drives, CPU and put them all back in. Worked for a while.

Well, I am having this same issue. It worked for several days until I noticed that my PC was like in low power mode but wouldn't come back up when I moved mouse or pressed a key. I powered it off and back on and it worked. This morning, it wont do anything. The original problem is back..you turn it on and nothing happens..PERIOD.

I finally got my internal speaker working. I does one LONG beep..5 second pause..one LONG beep..5 second pause, over and over. This seems to indicate bad memory but alas, without getting a new module, I can't test this. My original memory was from crucial and they claim to have lifetime warranty. I may need to go get at least a 128 module to see if this is the issue or not.

I will try to provide as much info as possible about my machine:
ASUS P4SDX
Pentium 4 1.6 Gig
512 Megs of Memory on one chip
GeForce 4 MX 420 AGP Video Card
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Generic Network Card
Pinnacle AV/DV video card.
Two Hard Drives
Two CD-ROMS
Antec 430 True Power Supply.

here's an update:

Well, I tried a new memory module. No luck and not even any beeps.

I took out everything again and added items one by one back into the unit. No luck.

So I am down to this: CPU is bad or MB is bad.

Suggestions?

If you have a friend who has components, I'd ask him to let you borrow a video card and/or cpu to test with. IT very well could be the video as wel, but is most likely the motherboard. A dead CPU isn't that common. Do the cooling fans for the CPU and the video card both spin normally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back