PC Case Improvisation Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulus

Today, on 'a spur of the moment whim', like a women who see's the latest handbag or pair of shoes, i saw a Mobo and CPU on the shelf of my local retailer, and decided, "Ive just gotta have em!". The Mobo is a full size Asus A7v333. My dilemma would be that I currently have only an ATX Mid tower case that is too small to house such a board. But even so, I went ahead and bought the components, plus some DDR333 & 300w PSU, and decided that i would pull my old machine apart and build a new one. At the time, what i bought, completely gobbled up my available budget, and i overlooked the factor of saving back enough money for a new larger case :D. Dumb i know, but at the time i just thought "Hey, you dont necessarily need a case around this setup to have it working". I am now sitting here with £250's worth of kit that is great!, but i now have no house to protect it, and also no cash left for a larger case :D . So i was getting to thinking, that surely there is some sort of improvised case that i could make out of some everyday objects? haha, i know this sounds pathetic and im probably opening myself up to a barrage of silly and sarcastic suggestions here. But, surely, one of you guys (or gals) here must have made yourself, or heard of a sensible method of improvising some sort of case? Is there a way?

My only alternative to knocking something together, would be to buy a case. I have only £20's left, and dont need a PSU with the case, so i was also wondering if any of you know of an online shop or something (UK) where i can buy a very cheap bare shell case? It doesnt matter if it looks cr@p, anything would do just until i can get more cash together. (Btw, im a student with no form of income and so this is reason why i cannot stretch much cash for this)

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and sarcasm taken with a tub of salt :) Thanks for readin folks, hope you can help...

How can an ATX Mid Tower not hold an A7V333?? You're absolutely positive it won't fit?? That seems a bit odd...

Do you have a mini refrigerator? :D

Vehementi: How can an ATX Mid Tower not hold an A7V333?? You're absolutely positive it won't fit??

Quite positive. My old case has a cut-down mobo with only 3 PCI-slots and no AGP, and the mobo that i bought as a replacement is too big for it. Also the PSU in my old case is quite small. Maybe i am wrong about it being a mid-tower, maybe its a baby ATX :confused: I have definately seen smaller cases with only one drive-bay, but mine has two, and so i assumed it was a Mid, but maybe, it seems, it is not :monkey: :stickout: (dimensions of case: 14" Long x 13" height x8" wide, New mobo: 12" Long x9 1/2" Wide) Anyhow, it definately looks too small to house my new Killer Mobo, as the Port Slots dont measure up to slot of case on rear, and so i need an alternative solution.

Mictlantecuhtli: I've made ATX cases from old AT cases. Not really pretty ones but they do their jobs.

Which brings me to my update. I have today been promised an old case off some lad at College. I dont know how big it is yet, but maybe if i can score another old AT Case from somewhere then i could get out my saw and welder :D

Ill let you know what happens :cool:

You can just scrap the case alltogheter if you want, just as long as you don't spill or drop anything on your mobo you might just as well lay it on your desk, along with the other components.

I've run a computer like that for 6 months ;)

It's not pretty nor secure, but hey; it's better than no comp at all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back