PC Constantly rebots on Startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I am using (don't own it) a Celeron 900 based system, which after installation of Broadband and a USB2.0 PCI Card, started some perculair activity.

I turned on the PC about a week/10days ago, only to have the Windows XP (loading) screen appear, followed by a reboot. I then receive the "Windows did not start successfully..." message giving me the Safe Mode etc options.... upon selection, the PC goes to the Windows XP (loading) screen again, and..... yep, reboots. On the odd time that windows XP Home loads, I can be working for hours with nothing, or the system decides to reboot again. Yep, back to "Windows did not start successfully..." message and Windows XP (loading) screen..... reboot !!! And on ad on.............

Now. I have since Stripped the H/Ware down and reinstalled piece by piece.... I have reinstalled XP..... and I STILL am getting this.

I later found a hardware error "PCI Simple Communications Controller" in the Device Manager..... this later appeared to rectify itself.... as this disappeared and the Intel Modem installed ! I also had an error (driver) on "Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver" missing/corrupt. I tried reinstalling/updating the driver on a number of occations, this eventually seems rectified.

Last night, I had no conflicts, all devices were working...... and I have the system running great..... not a problem..... reinstalled SP2..... still fine. Worked on the machine for about another hour or so..... then shut down.

TODAY ! The rebooting is back....... again I checked the HDD - Fine ,The device manager - Fine, BIOS seems fine (get the single beep). I can find no reason for this to occur...... I am using this PC now, after taking 2 hours to boot into windows after continuously rebooting (EVEN IN SAFE MODE !)

IS THERE ANYTHING I HAVE MISSED ?????? I am pretty PC competent and work in the IT industry....... but for the life of me I can not figure this bugger out ! PLEASE HELP !

Thanks
Andy

your USB2.0 CARD

THERE IS NO REASON WHY AFTER REINSTALLING EVERYTHING YOU STILL CANNOT STOP THAT MACHINE FROM REBOOTING, TRY UNISTALLING UR USB 2.0 CARD AND SEE IF U STILL EXPERIENCE THOSE REBOOTS.. ALSO CHECK FOR WINDOW UPDATES OR AND FLASH UR BIOS.. TRY ANOTHER DRIVER FOR THE CARD OR GET A DIFFERENT CARD... :wave:

techjr
Please use small letters in your posts. What you do, is called 'SHOUTING' and is not considered nice net-etiquette.

andy.ninja
since you have broadband, you should first uninstall, then physically remove the modem from that PC. Then you could uninstall the COM-ports, to free up interrupts.
Check any USB-settings in the BIOS. See if there are any mobo-specific USB-drivers available.
Check your network NIC that it is NOT set to WakeOnLan (or do you connect to broadband via USB?)
Check your System logs for any errors.
Try the USB-card in another PCI-slot.

Similar if not the same

I had BT Broadband installed at the end of Jan but the modem is an external BT Voyager 205 ADSL on a USB port. Initially I had a BSOD with the message "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" - did the basics of CHKDSK and DEFRAG, full virus scan, and installed XP (Home) SP1 and this BSOD went.

Since then I get the "windows did not start successfully message" on 2 out of 3 boots. Now on XP Home SP2 and still the thing wont go away

Ive seen from some posts that taking a recovery option from the XP CD to replace the system files can work, but Ive got an OEM version from HP and hence no CD ......

Grrrrrrrr

techless
go to www.memtest86.org and get memtest86. This needs a floppy-drive. If you don't have one, there is also ab ISO-file available to burn on a CD.
Run this 6-8 cycles, and see if your memory has errors.
Try to reseat the memory as well, these sometimes 'creep out' a bit.

memtest86

Hi memtest86 is a 16bit MSDOS subsystem prog and wont run under XP "mock dos" - I downloaded the lastest version (3.2) but couldnt find any ref to creating the disk under XP .... have you cracked this ?

The memtest program should create a self-booting floppy.
Set your BIOS to start first from floppy.
The program can NOT run under Windows.

from the memtest website:

Windows Installation

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back