TechSpot

PC Crashes when 3D Graphics attempted

By hopjimmy
Jun 3, 2006
  1. Hello,
    I am having problems that appear to be Video Card related. Starting May 24th, my computer started crashing when in Windows. I first noticed this while playing Madden NFL 2006. At this point, the computer would almost fully power off. The drives would all power down but the power light on the front of the case stayed on. To turn the computer back on, I had to hold the power button for 8 seconds to power down the MOBO and then press power again.

While troubleshooting on May 25, I could get the computer to load windows but it would crash in the same way within 5 minutes. I booted the computer to BIOS only to monitor CPU Temperature (peak at 45C). After about 5 minutes, the computer would crash in the same way from BIOS.

After removing the video card (NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX), I rebooted the system. Of course I couldn't see anything but Windows appeared to stay up for more than an hour. Every time with the video card in, it would crash within 5 minutes.

I assumed it was the video card at this point and ordered a Radeon 9550. Once this card was installed, Windows loads and stays up for 8 hours or more. The same crash event happens whenever I try to use 3D graphics. I narrowed it down to this by using PassMark Performance Test 6.0.

Any ideas what is happening and how I can fix this? Thank you in advance!

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

I would suspect it is a ram issue. your old GF2 MX probably didnt have as muh ram on it as your new ATI card does so it accsed system ram more than the new card does. try running memtest on your ram. or if you have access to other ram try using it.

Also list your systems hardware.

3. hopjimmy

hopjimmy TS Rookie Topic Starter

System Specs

MOBO: SY-P4VDA (SOYO)
    Processor: Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz
    L2 Cache: 512KB
    Memory: 640 MB
    Video: Radeon 9550 AGP 4-8X 256MB

Using PassMark Performance Test 6.0:
    Overall Memory Mark: 197.5.
    Memory - Allocate Small Block: 543.9 MB transfered/sec
    Memory - Read Cached: 1238.8 MB transfered/sec
    Memory - Read Uncached: 591.0 MB transfered/sec
    Memory - Write: 264.6 Operations/sec
    Memory - Large RAM: 32.9 MB transfered/sec

Results of Memory test on PCPITSTOP.com
    RAM installed 1280 MB
    Windows RAM 640 MB
    Total RAM slots 3
    Available RAM slots 0
    Max RAM module size 32 MB
    Memory Type 512+256+512;DIMM,Unknown,;T16
    Speed Rating 3506 MB/s (82% of 5569 similar)

Results of Video cart test on PCPITSTOP.com
    Brand/Model RADEON 9550
    Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
    Colors 16 million
    DirectX version 5.03.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    OpenGL version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Acceleration options Enabled
    Performance 105.79 MP/s (105% of 59 similar)

I am unable to run the 3D Video test using PassMark Performance Test 6.0. It instantly crashes my computer before any graphic is displayed. However, my 2D marks are as follows:
    2D Graphics Mark: 185.7
    Graphics 2D - Lines: 77.9 Thousands of lines drawn/sec
    Graphics 2D - Rectangles: 16.2 Thousands of images drawn/sec
    Graphics 2D - Shapes: 13.2 Thousands of shapes drawn/sec
    Graphics 2D - Fonts and Text: 63.9 Operations/Sec
    Graphics 2D - GUI: 93.9 Operations/Sec

To rule out Processor Temp and voltages, here are my current levels:
    CPU: 43C
    CHA: 36C
    VCore: 1.43V
    +3.3V: 3.21V
    +5V: 5.1V
    +12V: 12.09V

4. iss

ok a couple of questions. what brand ram? what speed? ( your board supports PC2100) are they all the same brand, timings. or are they mix and match? Also what brand PSU, wattage, and what amount of amps is it delivering on the +12V rail?

5. hopjimmy

Ram:
    Slot 1: PC133 512 MB (brand unknown)
    Slot 2: PC133 128 MB (brand unknown) - not same brand as above

Power Supply:
    Powmax 400 Watt
    Model: LP-8800D
    Amps on +12V rail: 25A max.

not sure how to tell how many amps are being delivered, I only know what the PSU is spec'd to deliver.

6. kangaruffian

kangaruffian TS Rookie Posts: 175

first update your drivers video audio chipset etc.

7. iss

what the heck? your board supports DDR266 ( PC2100) ram why are you running PC 133? its a wonder that your board boots at all.

8. hopjimmy

Driver was updated to ATI Catalyst 6.5 upon install.

As for the memory, this has worked well for 3 years. The memory doesn't appear to be failing. Unless it is failing, I don't understand how it would be preventing my computer from staying up while attempting to display 3D graphics.

9. kangaruffian

hmm it must be mistake.. 168-pin DIMM (sdram) dosent fit on 184 pin ddr slot

Try these settings on bios:

DRAM Command Rate 2T Command

AGP Aperture Size 64M
    AGP Fast Write Disabled
    System BIOS Cacheable Disabled
    Video RAM Cacheable Disabled

10. kangaruffian

More settings to try..

Video BIOS Shadow Disabled
    AGP Mode 4X try also 2x
    AGP Driving Control Auto
    AGP Master 1 WS Write Disabled
    AGP Master 1 WS Read Disabled

11. hopjimmy

This may be the confusion on the MOBO. I bought it from a friend three years ago and the manual said VDA/VSA. It already had the memory and processor with it so I didn't need to look. He didn't think it worked at all and sold it to me with the processor and memory for $200. The problem was a bent pin on the processor. I straightened it and have been using it problem free for three years.

I have just confirmed on the SOYO page and it appears that the memory type is the difference.

12. hopjimmy

I have made the changes to my bios. AGP Mode is down to 2X. It still crashes imediately when 3D graphics are attempted. I can still take the Aperature down to 32 from here if you think that will help.

13. hopjimmy

I have just gone into the 3D setting in the Catalyst Control Center. If I go into Standard Settings or Anti-Aliasing, there is a 3D preview that, I believe, crashes my computer. The video section of Catalyst Control Center does not crash my PC. I changed the following setting to see if there was improvement:

Under 3D - All Settings:
    Smoothvision 2.1 Anti-Aliasing from 4X to 2X
    Smoothvision 2.1 Anisotropic Filtering from 8X to 2X
    Mipmap Detail Level: all the way down to Performance
    Wait for vertical refresh: all the way to Performance
    Adaptive Anti-Aliasing: all the way to Performance

After doing this, the computer still crashes when 3D graphics are attempted.

14. kangaruffian

Did u get mobos chipset drivers as well? (from viaarena.com)

15. kangaruffian

and try on dxdiag to turn off agp texture acceleration if it helps?

16. hopjimmy

I had forgotten to install the MOBO's chipset drivers. I have now installed (VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 Driver ver. 4.53 for all VIA chipsets). Still no luck with 3D graphics.

DXDIAG does not have AGP Texture Acceleration available.

I am going to try to upgrade the BIOS. I have BIOS 6.00 PG dated 12/18/2001. I see on Soyo's website a bios dated 2002-08-13 is available (Bios Revision: P4VSA_2BA2)

17. hopjimmy

Thanks anyways. After flashing the BIOS, I can't get the computer to Windows. I did make a backup of the bios but now the computer will not recognize the floppy drive. Thanks again. I guess I will now buy a new mobo and start fresh.

Thanks again.

18. iss

In the end your problem proably was a failing mobo.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.