PC crashing constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer keeps crashing repeatedly. I've been trying to narrow down the cause but can't...

I can make it crash with graphics hardware accel on full when I load up a game such as Counterstrike and then minimize out to my desktop, my PC crashes and sound loops.

My PC also crashes occasionally when running iTunes. The sound loops and PC freezes.

Also occasionally happens when loading video files in VLC or from the Web via divx player or whatever.

There are also just the random crashes that happen under no set circumstances. The PC just freezes and sound loops, or I get a bluescreen.

I tested my RAM last night using a boot CD with RamTest, it's 100% working, no errors...
I've repaired my registry several times, I do that regularly. I run nod32 and spybot S&D, so that's clean. I've got several GB of HD space free...

When I turn my graphics hardware accel off I haven't been able to make the PC crash. This leads me to the assumption that it's my graphics card that's causing the crashes? Anything I can do to narrow this down? It's really annoying!... :(

When was the last time you cleaned the innards of your comp? It sounds like it's overheating.

mickzer.

Have you tried updating the vid card drivers? Try a system restore at a point when you weren't having these problems? When you update or reinstall your vid card drivers, make sure to use a complete driver removing tool to get rid of everything like driver cleaner. But Probably the best way in knowing if there's truly something wrong with the vid card is to do a full format and reinstall xp. Its the only way to know for sure if its really a hardware trouble or not. Also providing a minidump file (C:/Windows/minidump) of the BSOD would give users more info on your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back