PC Crashing Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a brand new computer (white box with P4 3.0, 512 MB, Intel MB) that has crashed about eight times over the last month or so. The only external hardware on it is an HP LaserJet 4 via parallel cable. It crashes whether there is a program open or not, sometimes in the middle of the night, and never with any precipitating event log entries.

I've attached the minidmp files (two .zip files to fit)... do they make sense to anyone?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

3 minidumps crash with memory corruption. They have a bugcheck of 4E.

2 minidumps crash SYMEVENT.SYS. This is your Norton/Symantec security product. They have bugchecks of 1A, and 4E respectively.

1 minidump crashes at Ntfs.sys. This is the Windows nTFS file system. It has a bugcheck of 24.

1 minidump crashes at win32k.sys. This is the Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver. It has a bugcheck of D3.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrpamp.exe. This is the Windows NT Kernel & System file. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

This memory management error is usually hardware related. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x000000D3: DRIVER_PORTION_MUST_BE_NONPAGED

You may have a ram/page file/hard drive problem.

Also uninstalling Norton/Symantec may help as it is known to cause problems on some systems/configurations. Try using the free AVG antivirus programme, and the free Zonealarm firewall.

You can get them HERE and HERE

Go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hard drive. Instructions for replacing your page file can be found in reply #11 of the above link.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I will pass on this one, howard. :D

I need more minidumps in this case to make a accurate analyze.

Let it crash a few times more and report back to us.

In the meantime you can check which updates you recently installed from msoft. Go to windows update site and select the option history. Copy and paste it here.

I am currently figuring out why many people are experiencing so much BSODS lately (more than half a year ago it was much less common/occuring).

Don;t tell me you have an ati radeon/nvidia card?

I think msoft is being/will be sued by manufacturers of certain hardware already/very soon. I think the bsods are one of the main reasons why microsoft must give up parts of its kernel source. Some manufacturers support sites are doing over hours. And that costs money....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back