Pc doesn't shut down automatticaly

By Crazy
Oct 17, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just assambled myself a second pc, not that powerfull but still good. But I've found a anoying problem. My pc doesn't power down automatticaly:(.

List of Hardware :
    Video Card = Gf4 mx 440 64mb
    motherbord = KT3 Ultra 2
    Sound-card = Sb live 1024
    CPU = amd athlon 2000+
    Hard Drive = 80GB IBM Dekstar
    RAM = 256mb DDR 333Mhz
    Monitor = Compaq s710
    Power = JNC 300W

Tried updating drivers and bios nothing seemed to help

greets Crazy

PS: Thanks in advance
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Is ACPI disabled? What do your APM settings look like in Control Panel?
  3. Crazy

Crazy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 191

I checked it and they where disabled.
    So I enabled ACPI and APM in the bios but its still not working
    I set ACPI on "auto" and APM on Enabled.

I'm working with Windows 2000 and windows Xp.

Is there a place in windows where I still have to enabled it?

Greets Crazy,

Ps : I'm not all that good with computers:(
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Have you changed hardware abstraction layer? If, when you installed Windows, ACPI was off then its not currently using an ACPI HAL and you might have to change it.

Go into device manager (right click my computer, manage, device manager.) Find the driver for the actual computer as a whole (top, just called "Computer") and see what it refers to as your machine.

Mine reads:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC.

If yours does not, change it to that. Reboot. Pray your machine does boot (heheh!) because this is potentially dangerous for machines without a proper ACPI implementation, but you should be fine. It may be something like "standard pc" - change it. A machine of your machine's age (not too long) should be fine to do this, if its not already set.

I am sure that this is not true, certainly if you have constructed your own machine. You may be a beginner, yes, but I and people like me can help you to become something more if you will have the right attitude to learning more.
  5. Crazy

Crazy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 191

Thanks allot for your help you both:p, everyting is working fine now. Both on Windows Xp as in Windows 2000.

Another thing I learn't, maybe I should be more active in forums because your really can learn allot in them.

Greets Crazy,

PS: Keep up the helping other people, I for one really apriciate it:D.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.