PC doesn't turn on with Hard Disk

By saif
Mar 25, 2009
  1. Hi all,
    I have a Seagate Barracuda 300GB HDD. Here's what happened...I removed my other drive to replace with this one. The CPU was on when doing so. While connecting the power connector (i guess its called molex) I inserted it the wrong way...not actually insert it, cause it cant be inserted the wrong way, but I think it just touched the HDD pins. The CPU turned off, and doesnt start again with the HDD connected. Just the power light comes and goes for a second. But my system is working fine with other drives. What could be the problem? Is only the fuse or something on the PCB? On doing some research on the net, I found that replacing the PCB will do, but if its just a small fuse on the PCB, should I be able to pluck it off? I am not ready to shell out money for data recovery centers even though I have important data in the HDD. Is it covered under warranty?
  2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Why on earth did you connect the hdd whilst the pc was on??? I take it you've now learned that lesson now?!

Ok, i'd suggest putting the barracuda into an external caddy and try mounting it once the pc is on (after booting from your old hdd).
    Or connect it as a secondary drive and see if:
    a) the pc boots from another master disk , and
    b) it mounts the barracuda.
    if so, get your data off it, format it and use Seatools to test it for damage etc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.