PC enthusiast (and budding Ubuntu fan) in need of a good forum

By Lou3
Aug 15, 2008
  1. Hi, everybody. I came here after seeing this site mentioned in a book about building PCs. This forum seems to have good posts, and it's easy on the eye.

I got my first PC, a Gateway PII, in 1998, and have since built my own systems. My current one is about the fifth, and number six is coming soon. I'd like to stay more on top of hardware advances, but I typically dive in when I need a new system, research bang-for-the-buck options, build the system, and pretty much stop paying attention to the hardware advances until I the next time I need a system.

I use Windows because it's the standard and because most PC games are made for it, but I prefer Ubuntu (although I'm a newbie with it). I don't have Ubuntu installed now, but will set up a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot when I build my new system. I resisted upgrading to Vista, but I'd like to get the most out of my new hardware. Also, I'm sick of the tedium of my current XP installation process: install Windows 98, then the XP upgrade, then the latest SP. Getting a full OEM OS would finally eliminate that, so it might as well be Vista.

Up to a few years ago I played a fair amount of PC games, but don't have much time for it these days. My favorite was the Thief series, and I have fond memories of Giants Citizen Kabuto. I recently found videos from Test Drive Unlimited and would like to play that. I still take StarCraft for an occasional spin, and I'll play StarCraft 2 if the play value is anywhere near as good as the original's.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Have you bothered to do a Gurgle search for Ubuntu forums? There are plenty of them online for you to sample
  3. Lou3

Lou3 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 65

Yes, there's an Ubuntu forum I like, but I need a good Windows-oriented forum too.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.