Pc fails to install software ?

By r1_forever
May 1, 2004
  1. I have just finished formatting/re-installing xp on a friends Pc and when I attempt to install a piece of software it gives me errors and has to abort. I get failed to read data from CD. So I tried copying the file via my network onto this Pc and then installing it. Same thing or corrupt file. So I installed it via the network from the other Pc and it works fine that way. I have had to do this with nearly every piece of software so far. Could this be due to a bad instll of Xp? I have never experienced this problem before so I don't want to have to uninstall and try again if I can help it. If it is a small file like winrar or daemon tools install it works fine, but anything that takes a while will generally not work. Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You may have to update the MS Installer before you attempt other installations. I don't use XP, but the above has been an issue with nearly all versions of Windows.
    Your CD-errors might be due to dirty CD's or a dirty lens in the CD.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Could be some corruption from vanilla IDE drivers too. Make sure you have installed all the correct drivers from the hardware manufacturers for everything, including the motherboard.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Might sound simple, but sometimes if the CD is dirty, or scratched it can give you these errors. Give it a good cleaning.

You also might want to clean the laser in the drive with a CD head cleaner, as it is recommended you clean those every 10 hours of use.
  5. r1_forever

r1_forever TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Thanks for the help guys, turned out to be a faulty stick of Ram. Does anyone know if what is sold as 'Generic' Ram is 2nd hand or just lower quality. The stick I bought was supposed to be new I believed but upon closer inspection it's definitely 2nd hand. I am taking it back tomorrow but I'm not sure about making a scene in case it's an industry standard that 'Generic' Ram is used.

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Generic RAM is just a lower quality, but new nevertheless.
    Someone private might sell it as generic, if they don't know the original make/model, but a shop should state if it is used/2ndHand
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.