1. Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario SR 1000
    Microsoft Window XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002, Service Pack 3
    2.19Ghz, 1.00GB of RAM

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    AMD Athlon ™ 64 Processor 3700+
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache™

My current monitor is a LCD, Plug and Play monitor, manufacturer: standard monitor type, model WJ1780PI, D-12055 - one straight wire connecting to a VGA port.

Hello I have posted a thread on this already on advise on how to set up dual monitors.
    Guess what after over 7 years my PC will now not switch on.
    All I did was had a look at the back in order to take a picture.
    Tried switching the VGA into another slot it see if the slot was enabaled. It wasn't and so swapped it back. When I removed and inserted the cables each time the PC was switched off. When I plugged in back into the original VGA slot and switched the machine back on it was working fine.

Have updated version of Norton and the day after switched it on and the fan is making a hugh racket folowed by I think some clicking noises and there just remains a black screen on the monitor.

Switched it off and waited a wee while, checked the cables and tried again.
    Day after that got some dust removal spray for computers and gave it a good spray and made sure the airways are clean. Done this before in the past.
    The very next day switched on and still the same situation - fan running really loud, followed with I think a few clicking sounds - not sure which part the fan is running, base unit has a green light, amber light on the monitor, black screen.
    What could have happened. It was working fine after I put the VGA slot back into the original slot.
    Could it be the power supply, CPU overheating.???
  2. Jazsy

Jazsy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario SR 1000
    Microsoft Window XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002, Service Pack 3
    2.19Ghz, 1.00GB of RAM

ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    AMD Athlon ™ 64 Processor 3700+
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache™

Monitor: LCD, Plug and Play monitor

Manufacturer: standard monitor type
    Model WJ1780PI, D-12055

Hello,

I am now experiencing problems with my PC after 7/8 years.
    Each time I switch it on the fan is running really loud; followed by two clicks and after that the power light on the monitor turns from solid green to solid amber and on the screen it comes up with no signal.
    The base unit always has a solid green light.

I carried out a power supply test and the light on the back had a solid green light so that is working fine.
    Checked the fans and they are working fine.

I have cleaned it thoroughly with the appropriate spray, opened it up and cleaned out the heat sink and even cleaned off the thermo paste and added a fresh batch.

Guess what!! It did not make one difference.

Is it anything to do with the video mode? Before this problem started I was checking to see if the second VGA slot was enabled and plugged it in and found that it wasn't. Each time I switched the cables I always had the machine switched off. When I plugged the VGA cable back in its original slot it was working fine. Next day after this problem cropped up.

Could it be the hard drive as it does make 2 click sounds? Motherboard maybe??

There was a problem with my start up menu a few weeks before this problem, the second half of the menu was all black. Tried to change the views and that listed everything but the names were missing from programs list. That problem resolved itself though - not sure if was related to this.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

Can you format the hard drive and install Windows fresh? 7 or 8 years is good service from the computer in any case :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.