TechSpot

PC freezes when network cable connected

By mgb2005
Jan 2, 2005
  1. I am connected to a broadband connection by a modem connected to my PC via a USB cable. I wish to replace the USB connection between my PC and the modem with an ethernet connection from the PC's network card. Sounds simple enough, however everytime I connect the network card of my PC to the ethernet connection on the modem, the system freezes. I am using Windows XP, a 32bit Belkin Network PCI card and a Webstar DPX100 Modem if that helps?

If anyone can help, i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

using a lan card instead of a usb interface for a modem is unnessesary, performance will be just the same. still, you can try a different network card or a new cable. update your system with the latest device drivers for said card. refer to your modem/network card respective manuals.

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Also, some modems require a cross-over cable instead of a straight cable.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You may have buggy network card drivers. Update those first.

In network card device settings set link speed manually to 10 Mbit, half duplex. Disable auto MDI/MDI-X if such a thing is present.

If it works after reducing link speed, set it manually to 10 Mbit full, 100Mbit half, 100Mbit full duplex.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.