TechSpot

PC Freezes when playing games, music or most other things!!!

By elissakat
Dec 16, 2005
  1. HI all. I am new to this so please excuse any errors. I have a P4 3gig, 1gig ram, 256 graphics (or is it 512? Can't remember), 180 gig hard drive pc that I had custom built for me just over a year ago. Since I had it, I have had loads of problems with it. Most have been sorted out by the shop that built it for me (I have had to take it back 6 times in the past year) but this problem persists. Whenever I play a game (be it Rome Total War, Football Manager 2006 or Doom 3!), listen to music on WMP or iTunes, stay on net for a prolonged period of time, look at pictures or movies, then it freezes. I hear a couple of 'beeps' then it freezes. If I press reset, the PC just makes a long beep noise so I need to switch the power off from the back. This happens regularly.

The last time I returned it they appeared to have fixed the problem. They said that it was a heat sink problem. Got it back from the shop and it appeared to be working perfectly, better than it has before. But low and behold, it problem has returned. My 1 year warranty has now ran out and I would like to attempt to fix it myself before going somewhere else and having to pay for it to be fixed. Does/has anyone here have/had the same problem and how did they fix it? Any help you give will be greatfully received.

2. doomsweek

doomsweek TS Rookie Posts: 44

Maybe a heat problem. What's the temperature of the processor?

3. elissakat

elissakat TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi. I checked on the BIOS screen at start up and these of the temperatures on it:

Current System Tempertaute: 37c
    Current CPU Temperature: 44c

4. doomsweek

doomsweek TS Rookie Posts: 44

Uhm, the temperatures seem normal. How about your power supply? Is it giving enough juice for your system? What's the wattage of your power supply? Search for "power supply calculator" @ http://www.google.com

5. elissakat

elissakat TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry i'm new to this. Can't figure them out! Not sure what specific system i have got. Froze three times last night while trying to burn a vcd. Have you any other advice that I could use?

6. Kev_Boy

Kev_Boy TS Rookie Posts: 30

Just open your case, you should be able to read it off the power supply's side.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.