PC Freezing/Crashing and at My Wits End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

OK, here's the issue. I have a custom built system, my first, that has been running fine nearly 24/7 for about 2 years. About a month ago, when we had our first few 85+ days here in NJ, my PC started to freeze up at random time intervals. My first assumptions were heat related, but I wanted to rule out software first. So I set about running a virus scan and spy-ware scan which turned up nothing. Checking the event logs showed no application or system errors. I even went so far as to disconnect my HD and run a boot disk, which still resulted in a crash after some time.

So then I stripped my system down to CPU, Mobo, RAM, and HD...still crashes. BIOS and Mobo Utility temp monitor showed my CPU temp around 50 deg Celcious. Though those numbers may be unreliable it was all I had and after some research they didn't seem like unreasonable temps.

At this point I assumed some core component went bad. I then set about replacing the RAM, CPU, Mobo, and PSU with new or know good parts. I did this one at a time in an attempt to isolate the problem. After each new part I was still experiencing lockups. I had left the mobo for last and was sure that had to be it, but I had a crash shortly after instillation.

Since that last crash my system has been up for a few hours and I plan on running a basic CPU tester through the night to give it a workout and see what happens.

At this point I don't know what the hell to do. I would appreacate any comments or suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

Shaggy667

Current PC config:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 1.91Ghz 333fsb
Asus A7N8X-X nVidia nForce2-400
2x ProMOS DDR333 256mb
nVidia GeForce MX 440 AGP 8x
Maxtor 80gb ATA/133 7200rpm
EZ-Media 430-Watt: +3.3V/28A, +5V/34A, +12V/14A, -12V/0.8A, -5V/0.5A, +5VSB/2A

Previous:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz 333FSB
Asus A7N8X nVidia nForce2-S
Kingston DDR400 512mb
Hercules 400-Watt: +3.3V/28A, +5V/30A, +12V/11A, -12V/0.8A, -5V/0.5A, +5VSB/3A

It's possible your CPU or your motherboard somehow got jarred resulting in a bad contact. I would reseat your CPU and look really closely to see if anything got bumped. Reseat your memory as well.

Try that.

Thanks Tedster,

I guess I could check my CPU and RAM again. Unfortunately I don't that will help b/c both have been unseated and reseated several times as I tired different configurations to isolate the problem.

...Also it ran fine through the night, I'll see how it is when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back