PC frequently stalls on BIOS load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...

I would be very grateful for any help.

I have an Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 Ghz running on an Asus P5B board, using American Megatrends BIOS ver. 0701.

My system frequently stalls at a very early stage. After having recognized the video card it goes to the BIOS startup page (the one with a fancy ASUS logo...), where it stalls 4/5 times.

The times where it goes beyond this point, I get a message, on an American Megatrend background, that "Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system". I pass this point, by choosing to "load default values and continue". The other option is to run Setup, but since I don't know which values to change there anyway, and that it eventually will take me back to the BIOS startup page I don't enjoy that option.
When I choose to "load default values..." the PC starts Win XP without any problems. The processes seem a little slow at times, but I haven't figured out, if it is just a Windows irregularity, or something more serious.

I reinstalled some Antivirus software a couple of hours before I booted my system, and it started acting strange. Apart from that I can't recall any changes made.

Has anyone got any idea to what might be wrong.

Thx in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back