PC gaming on the couch is now a lot easier, thanks to the all-in-one Razer Turret

midian182

Staff member

If, like me, you have a PC in your living room that you use as a media center and occasionally for playing local multiplayer games, you’ll probably find that using a keyboard and mouse combination in this kind of setup can be a bit of a headache.

When it comes to gaming on the couch, many people just use the same peripherals they have at their desk, which means wires trailing across the floor and the possibility that they won't be long enough. Even going wireless requires you to rest the mouse on a flat surface next to you. I use an all-in-one solution that has a laptop-style trackpad, which isn’t great at the best of times and useless for gaming.

But now a solution may be at hand in the form of the Razer Turret, a device that consists of a wireless keyboard, integrated mouse surface, and gaming mouse, meaning you’ll soon be able to play mouse-essential games like Starcraft 2 from the comfort of your couch.

"The Razer Turret brings the immense world of PC gaming to a previously impossible frontier—the living room—where only consoles have traditionally roamed until now," says Razer Co-Founder and CEO Min-Liang Tan. "Finally, we have a perfect solution for gamers to enjoy the unrivaled precision of a mouse and keyboard combination from the comfort of the couch with the durability and reliability that PC gamers demand."

The turret doesn’t skimp on high-quality components like many other all-in-one solutions. The keyboard part of the “lapboard,” as Razor calls it, has lovely chiclet keys, anti-ghosting capabilities for up to 10 simultaneous keypresses, some dedicated Android buttons, and a battery life of around four months. The mouse, meanwhile, has a 3500 DPI sensor and is good for 40 hours of continuous use.

The turret comes bundled with a wireless 2.4 GHz adaptor for hooking it up to your PC, and the lapboard features built-in Bluetooth LE for connecting to a console. Moreover, the mouse surface is slightly magnetic, meaning it stops the peripheral from easily falling off. There's even a hinge that allows the surface to be folded away when not in use.

The only issues people may have with the Turret are that it's not much good for southpaws, and the fact that Razor has increased the price from the $129.99 it announced at CES 2015 to $159.99.

Permalink to story.

"Finally, we have a perfect solution for gamers to enjoy the unrivaled precision of a mouse and keyboard combination from the comfort of the couch with the durability and reliability that PC gamers demand."

Not with those tiny half-sized up/down cursor keys you don't...

Yeah I'll pass. I have my HTPC's keyboard usb cable hidden under the rug and brought it up through my coffee table. Then I just plug my mouse into the keyboard and use a laptop rest as @Evernessince stated above. The only Wireless peripheral I use from time to time is my wireless headset and that's just to keep from annoying the lady friend when I'm playing games in the living room.

Interesting idea but needs more features. I would think a palm rest would be critical for comfort... I don't want my hand hanging off the edge when trying to WASD for hours on end. Also need a much larger mousing area, as things can get crazy in FPS games.

Come on! First we have an article about a stand up table, now one on a sit down keyboard ..... don't we have some device that makes it better to lay prone, on your face with your butt up in the air? Oh wait, should we omit "dancing with the stars" first? :)

"...with the durability and reliability that PC gamers demand."

Yeah, that's not something Razer has got going for them anymore, all their products are junk and stop working just after the warranty expires, had an Imperator, it stop clicking properly then one day stopped being detected all together, had a Taipan, the sensor got all buggy and would cut out at random, Razer headsets have all broken on me and my friends. I'm amazed my Blackwidow still works but it was launch gen bought in 2010 with Cherry MX switches, not their cheap Chinese knock off switches they use now, however it still has it's issues, mainly with their software which just plain sucks and the braided cord is slowly strangling itself and presumably one day will stop working as well.

This looks as cheap as can be with a laptop inspired keyboard and way too small mousing surface for a 3500 DPI mouse, but I guess it would look awfully purdy sitting on your coffee table, because that's whats really important...

"

Yeah, that's not something Razer has got going for them anymore, all their products are junk and stop working just after the warranty expires, t...
Not the Deathadder (original) and BlackWidow Ultimate (original) I have had.
I put them both through the ringer when I was raiding all the time, they still work great and have held up very well.
I do however, take very good care of my peripherals.

Not the Deathadder (original) and BlackWidow Ultimate (original) I have had.
I put them both through the ringer when I was raiding all the time, they still work great and have held up very well.
I do however, take very good care of my peripherals.

The Deathadder came out before they started making crap tastic products, so I'm not surprised and know people who have had that mouse since it launched back in the mid 2000s, and if you have the same keyboard as me I'm not surprised either, just be careful with the pig tail wires on the PC end of things and don't bother with the software.

Given that: I would have to sell my couch to raise the funds for one of these a better title would be "PC gaming on the FLOOR is now a lot easier".

Yeah, that's not something Razer has got going for them anymore, all their products are junk and stop working just after the warranty expires, had an Imperator, it stop clicking properly then one day stopped being detected all together, had a Taipan, the sensor got all buggy and would cut out at random, Razer headsets have all broken on me and my friends. I'm amazed my Blackwidow still works but it was launch gen bought in 2010 with Cherry MX switches, not their cheap Chinese knock off switches they use now, however it still has it's issues, mainly with their software which just plain sucks and the braided cord is slowly strangling itself and presumably one day will stop working as well.

This looks as cheap as can be with a laptop inspired keyboard and way too small mousing surface for a 3500 DPI mouse, but I guess it would look awfully purdy sitting on your coffee table, because that's whats really important...

It's true, I have both a Leopold and Tt mechanical keyboards that I could use as a blunt force weapon in a pinch. During the same period I've gone through 2 deathadder's. I usually pick them up cheap at PAX though and I do like the DeathAdder design. Hmm, maybe a Logitech next time.

Yeah... looks like extremely unconfortable keys, can't picture myself hovering the mouse over that tiny surface and I certainly can't see myself spending that amount of dough over that thick piece of bad ergonomics junk.

Razer used to make good products =/

"Finally, we have a perfect solution for gamers to enjoy the unrivaled precision of a mouse and keyboard combination from the comfort of the couch with the durability and reliability that PC gamers demand."

Not with those tiny half-sized up/down cursor keys you don't...

Real gamers WASD, not that it makes this look any better, just sayin'.

The Deathadder came out before they started making crap tastic products, so I'm not surprised and know people who have had that mouse since it launched back in the mid 2000s, and if you have the same keyboard as me I'm not surprised either, just be careful with the pig tail wires on the PC end of things and don't bother with the software.

Deathadder is probably the best mouse ever made, gave the old one I had to my little brother when I got a mamba 2012 edition that wasn't being used at work because the battery died (Good thing I knew you could change the cradle into a wired mouse... which actually makes it the exact same mouse as a Deathadder and if you need you can use it wireless for a day or so), which is working to date.

Also bought a couple of years ago a Razer Electra headset, best ones I've had which only got changed when the padding gave up :(

Last edited:
Looks uncomfortable and the mouse mat/area is way too small. Don't need anything to play on couch, keyboard half on arm rest half on lap, mouse is on the couch next to me and never had any problems.

If you really need something to level your mouse and keyboard look at couch mate and make your own. They cost a lot and most people have one arm rest so it's better to make it yourself to fit your couch. Really all you need is a board of some kind and a pillow and it's way better than this will ever be. And I need my numpad, if keyboard doesn't have one it's useless to me.

Making it have android keys and laptop layout makes it good for car trips maybe, should be marketed for that.

It's true, I have both a Leopold and Tt mechanical keyboards that I could use as a blunt force weapon in a pinch. During the same period I've gone through 2 deathadder's. I usually pick them up cheap at PAX though and I do like the DeathAdder design. Hmm, maybe a Logitech next time.

Here I thought I was the only who had multiple Deathadder's fail. I then tried the Deathadder 2013 edition and it was broken withing the first 3 weeks... I've moved to Logitech peripherals again since Razor seems to only focus on pretty lights and cheap plastic.

Why why why why why? everybody I know already has a serfpad tv tray or they build one themselves. I hate it when companies force you to buy their stuff. non-proprietary. secure. portable keyboard tray. that is all.

Why why why why why? everybody I know already has a serfpad tv tray or they build one themselves. I hate it when companies force you to buy their stuff. non-proprietary. secure. portable keyboard tray. that is all.

Sure feels like Razer has a gun to all our heads on this one, guessed we just all need to buy one of these now, seeing as how it's being forced upon us...

Back