PC getting hanged on opening IE for a number of times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, since few last months, whenever I open IE and then close it, a pop-up comes with the message "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And if I open it for a number of times then the right click feature stops working and the PC ultimately gets hanged. Even ctrl-alt-del doesnt work. I use some share trading softwares and the pages which open through it opens up directly in IE only. Hence the compulsion to use IE.
Pls help.

try using CCleaner to remove temporary files and clean the registry with it...btw, if you set another browser as default, pages might not open through IE anymore

I have set other browsers as default but inspite of that the pages which are getting redirected from my share trading software are opening in IE.

CCleaner is pretty safe and a good suggestion for routine maintenance. But something else is going on that CCleaner won't help.

You probably have a virus/trojan that has altered your HOSTS file and/or an IE Add-On/Extension that causes IE to lock up. The fact that Task Manager cannot kill the process makes me suspect the problem goes beyond IE.

I suggest these steps which will take some time but probably will help:

-- Clear IE's cache: Tools--> Internet Options--> Browsing --> Delete.
Uncheck the first box and check all the others then click "DELETE". Go to "Advanced" tab
and click RESET. Close window. You have now disabled all add-ons and restored IE to "new"
condition. Later, you can re-enable add-ons one-by-one to see which might be causing a
problem.

-- Make sure all Windows updates are installed.

-- Update JAVA by going to START --> Control Panel --> Java --> Update --> Update Now.

-- Do you have GOOD firewall and anti-virus/malware programs installed and updated? Even if
the answers are Yes, which they should be ; -) ....
-- Use an online scanner, like TrendMicro's Housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ is
a good idea in case your system's protection has been compromised. Follow on-screen
instructions. It will take quite a while. So, be patient and let the scan finish.

Try this and let us know if it helped. If not, don't panic... We have other tricks up our sleeves. :wave:

--- JMJ

firstly, I am not keeping windows updates on because when i kept it on last time that 'windows are not genuine' message came up and i had to format my computer.
secondly, I have an original kaspersky antivirus software installed in my PC but I havent installed its firewall coz on installing it some pop ups start coming or regular basis seeking some action on my part to allow or block some activities. It is very confusing for me and so i didnt install it.
thirdly, i couldnt see any 'browsing' option under 'internet options' tab. I have deleted temporary internet files and diabled all the add-ons except the two java add-ons which is required in opening some web pages.
I will use ur online scanner and let u know the result.
meanwhile, am not panicking. i love these situations.....it increases my knowledge base.
thanks a lot.........i will let u know the whole situation in 2 days time.

Wait!

Based on this new, very significant information, for now please disregard my earlier suggestions.

You need major help, especially since you appear to be running a "pirated" copy of Windows. I don't wish to spend the time necessary to detail all the many, many steps necessary to permanently fix your problems (IE crashing is the least of them!) but, if you send me a Private Message, as a TechSpot courtesy, I will arrange to help you via my GoToAssist accounts. You may check it out here: http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/corpProductOverview.tmpl

Please note my time-zone/location and pick a suitable time to spend an hour online.

Also, please download (but do not install) trial version of TrojanRemover: http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

If you decide to proceed with my help, plan on establishing a connection immediately AFTER you have MANUALLY run BUT NOT INSTALLED Windows Updates.

Also, run and install all Kaspersky updates.

Reading your response to my last post, I was reminded of this quote by Mark Twain:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

--- JMJ

hey thanks JMJ for such a nice gesture.
firstly my interent modem is not working properly, so i went be able to spend an hour with u
and before i do what u mentioned, u know what IE is not giving me trouble anymore. So disabling those add-ons actually worked.
so thanks to both of u for the help.

Good news!

Glad to hear that gunjan

Now, may I suggest that you do some preventive maintenance? Refer to my earlier post and download and run trial version of TrojanRemover, after allowing it to update itself. Follow any recommendations it makes during its scan. I've never had it steer me wrong.

Follow Punkid's suggestion, not only 'cause I like his user-name but because it's good, safe advice and because CCleaner is free! Run it "right out of the box" then you can tweak its settings later.

Do the online virus/malware scan using Trendmicro's Housecall, mentioned earlier.

Re-boot and manually check for Window's Updates. De-select and 'hide' the update named 'Genuine Advantage Notification' and install all other offered updates, including IE8... it really is safer than previous versions.

By the way, you can check the legitimacy of your Windows with this tool:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gdnsDQ&usg=AFQjCNH5Zcs6VID448dqfDkoyf9nzmkx7w

If it is legit, congrats. If not, you can remove the tool here:
Remove Genuine Advantage Tool:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-validation-tool-263254/

If you haven't already, please update your Kaspersky and enable its firewall or install another (I like Comodo which has a free version) or Windows built-in firewall.

Live long and happily ever-after.

Ciao! :wave:

Follow Punkid's suggestion, not only 'cause I like his user-name but because it's good, safe advice and because CCleaner is free! Run it "right out of the box" then you can tweak its settings later.
haha its a really good all in one program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back