PC goes into Stand-by without warning, and doesn't wake up

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of a sudden my screen goes blank (but it's not the screen, I'm positive) and the PC makes a different noise (like going into stand-by) but I can't wake him up. It started yesterday, only after some time, now, it goes to sleep right away. I tried with a different hard disk, same think. So I guess it's neither software related, nor hard-disk related. Something in the rest of the hardware, any idea. Thanks a million

Look at the caps on your motherboard. See if there is any "krusties" on the top if there seem to be any buldgeing going on it there. If you find anything like that I would say that more then likely it is a dying motherboard. Even if you don't see those things it still could be the motherboard, could also be the PSU.

If there isn't any damage to the caps on the motherboard I would see if you can get another PSU. Just don't remove the old one from your case. Just on hook the power from everything and plug the other one in it will still work from outside the case. If you still see the same problem then your psu is mostly like good and you have to turn your attention back to the motherboard.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm really a beginner, what do you call the "caps" on the motherboard so I know where to look?
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back