PC hard lockup... for no visible reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i've got a Pentium 4 with 2.66 GHz of processing power, 1 GB DDR1 RAM , 80 GB hard disk (NOT SATA) , ASROCK P4VM890 Motherboard , GeForce 7300/7200 GS PCI Express Graphics Card, and a 350 v Power Supply Unit.

Ok, the problem is that my PC gets hard locked for no apparent reason at all. It happens randomly and there is no specific program or application that would happen to be running while this happens. When it gets hard locked, nothing works, not even the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] function for the task manager. Reboot is the only option in order to continue.

This has been happening since the first day that i bought my PC, and has been happening ever since. I have tried swapping RAM with my brother's PC with a similar setup ,which by the way runs perfectly fine. But still, the same happens to my pc.

I've even tried changing my Power Supply Unit, but it didnt help. Changed my hard disk configuration from 2, 80GB hard disks to only 1.

Changed and fully formatted for different operating systems from XP x86, to Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate. But the problem remained the same for each of these operating systems.

I have fully updated drivers for every hardware component on my PC. So drivers is not an issue.

I NEED SOME HELP. Need to know the reason why my pc still gets stuck.

It seems something is unstable on your system. Are you running one or two modules of RAM? If you're using two try just using a single stick at a time and see if there are any further issues. You could also try running memtest86+ to ensure that your RAM is OK.

it cant be the RAM, since i even swapped my RAM with my brother's PC's RAM. but i'll run it anyway. One more thing, whenever this happens, if I listen carefully... there is a low but noticeable sound. like a "Stitch" sound.

my best guess rite now is that the motherboard is having power conduction problem through it's sockets... gonna get a new one. any recommendations which motherboard supports Pentium 4 (northwood) CPU, DDR2 RAM and has PCI Express slot(s) ?

thx alot man :) gonna buy it tomorrow. was having a hard time finding the required setup. now my RAM , Motherboard and my GPU will be changed as an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back