PC in re-set loop + CMOS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakland600

Hi there,

Hope someone can help…..

First problem I had related to the PSU not working properly. The PC kept cutting out on start-up, it was only after pressing the start button/re-set button several times that the PC managed to finally get to the desktop. This problem has got worse and a few days ago during the usual dozen or so attempts at trying to get it started I noticed an error on the first start-up screen (the one where it does the memory check). The error message was:-

“CMOS checksum error – defaults loaded
F1 to continue. Del to enter setup/Dual Bios, F9 for xpress recovery

08/02/2004 nvidia-nforce-6A61BG0MC-00”

I took the F1 option and it got as far as the windows logo appearing with the scrolling progress bar. The pc then did a re-set by itself but this time there was no cmos error message. However it again did the re-set at the windows logo. So it seemed to be caught in some kind of re-set loop. I switched it off at the PSU as this was the only way I could power it down.

The next day I couldn’t get it to power-up at all. The PSU had packed in I guess.

I replaced the PSU with another and on start-up it went into the re-set loop again.

After a bit of research I replaced the cmos battery from my other PC and tried it again. This time the old CMOS error appeared but this time when I took the F1 option it loaded up windows without any problem. However the processor speed is not appearing correct in the device manager, but I think I know how to fix this in the BIOS/mobo. Unfortunately when I now re-start the PC it goes back into the re-set loop. The only way I can get the PC to boot ok is by taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in. This only works once and after a re-boot I need to do it again.
I am actually using the pc now to post this, and it’s been working ok for about an hour, but I know if I re-start I will get the re-set loop problem.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Ian
Sorry for the long post.

what are the specs of the machine? the psu?

try updating your bios and all device drivers you are using, particularly those of the chipset and video card. a PSU that failed as such could have caused data corruption in the ram, which could have corrupted files on your hard drive. also, there is a possibility that the hard disk is going bad.

whenever i get a machine that behaves this way, i boot to my copy of knoppix (on CD-ROM) and run memtest. if that passes, i boot knoppix. if everything runs fine, you should suspect the hard disk. knoppix is available at www.linuxiso.org but before going through all that i would use memtest. (http://www.memtest86.com/)

is the hardware being properly detected in the bios? everything come up, as it should?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back