PC infected...Control panel + Reg edit + task manager disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishal74

Hi all,

After searching and taking suggested actions extensively.....all in vain....I am seeking the experts help....I have a PIII and Win 2000 Pro.

My PC got infected with Win Antivirus pro and I was getting the pop-up of "System infected and click to download Win anti virus pro". I have run Super anti-spyware and AVG anti-spyware and managed to remove this pop-up but my task manager (even with Ctrl-Alt-Del), Control Panel, regedit, My Computer properties......... all are disabled. I have only one account on the PC, which is mine and I am the administrator.

How do I fix my PC........plz help

Rgds

Friends, I was hoping for some help but not even a single reply/solution so far.........plz help me out..................

You need to have a read of this - If your system is infected. Read this before deciding whether to CLEAN or REFORMAT.

Then if you should wish to proceed with cleaning your system you need to go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, Combofix, and AVG Antispyware logs as ATTACHMENTS into this thread, only after doing the above.

This thread is for the use of vishal74 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Try to follow the instructions as exactly as possible.

This thread is for the use of vishal74 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanx a lot, rik

At the end of it all, my task mgr, control panel, desktop, regedit have started working.......I am still posting the combofix and HJT log (anti spyware didn't detect anything) for u to analyze in case I need to do something more....thanx once again....

One more thing......combo fix after finishing and b4 re-booting gave this msg...."Your registry size is too small"...should I increase it..it is set to a max of 51 MB now and current size is 29 MB.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please post all the requested log files as attachments. See HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Your HJT log was done in safe mode. It needs to be run in normal mode. please do this and post a fresh HJT log.

Hjt Log

Thanx rik......I am posting the HJT log run in normal mode. Two more things if u could help me out:

(1) As I said earlier, combo fix after finishing and b4 re-booting gave this msg...."Your registry size is too small"...should I increase it..it is set to a max of 51 MB now and current size is 29 MB. What will be the effect/ repurcussions?

(2) Since I have installed all the pgms as given in the thread, they are taking too much of memory and my PC often is short of virtual memory. Could I un-install some and if yes, which ones should I keep to ensure my PC stays protected?

Rgds

Rik, you have been busy and since my PC was working fine, with no more pop-ups, I didn't bother you but I just discovered that when I open the 'Add/remove pgms' in control panel, the window just doesn't open... i mean the window shows a completely greyed out screen (like when it hangs) and doesn't close also...now I can't make any changes through the control panel..pse help

What O/S you using. Try this it may or may not work.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. In the Command window, type regsvr32 mshtml.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
5. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
6. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
7. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
8. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
9. Close the Command window.

You should now be able to open add/remove programs and have full control of the control panel.

Regards Jase

Jase123 said:
What O/S you using. Try this it may or may not work.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. In the Command window, type regsvr32 mshtml.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
5. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
6. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
7. In the Command window, type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i, and then press ENTER.
8. Click OK to confirm that the registry entry has been added.
9. Close the Command window.

You should now be able to open add/remove programs and have full control of the control panel.

Regards Jase

Thanx for replying Jase. I have Win 2000 Pro on my PC. All entries as told by you, added successfully but it has not worked. As I said b4, the window opens and the left pane even shows the sub-menus like Change/remove pgm but the right pane is all white/blank and doesn't list anything. Thereafter, I am not able to even close the window though it gets minimized as I click on any other window.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back