PC is running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a few days ago I got a BSOD error about UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, and I had no idea how to solve the problem, so I googled it and it gave me this website. Now it's fixed :D, but before I googled it, I thought it was a technical problem with my PC. So I took the case of my PC off and vaccuum and wiped all the dust out of my computer.
Now that my computer is fixed, it's running slower than every. I have no idea how it got this slow, but I THINK it has something to do with me messing with the insides of my computer.
Whenever I start up my computer, Windows XP, it takes probably 5 times as long to start up as it use to.

If anyone could tell me what happened to my computer, I would greatly appriciate it.

I dont recommend vaccuming out inside of any case, there are some very sensitive parts inside, something may be loose or not on correctly. Or it could be a hardware issue. Someone here might be able to help more than myself actually.

One of the first steps to take (and easy) when your computer is running slow, is to check if there is a process using a lot of your computer cycles. Press Ctrl-Alt_Del to bring up the Task Manager. Look at the status bar on the bottom and see what the CPU usage is. When you are not running anything, it should be between 1 - 5 percent. Any more than that, especially when it's showing 50 - 90 percent, something is eating up your processor cycles.

Next click on the Processes tab and find the culprit process, by looking for a high number in the CPU column. Except for the System Idle Process, which can be in th 90s. Once you find the process, make a note of it and try to determine where it is used. Google the .exe and often you will get an answer. Also try to end the process to see what happens.

Also, go to start Click on Run... and type in msconfig. At the System Configuration Utility window click on the Startup tab. Uncheck any programs you do not need to start every time. Reboot and see if you get results.

If you do not get results, I believe there is a sticky on this BB that steps you through locating the culprit with more drastic measures.

Thanks for the replies.

@supersmashbrada : Yah, I thought about that afterwords and regretted what I did.

@TangoTrolly : Thanks for the reply, but I've already done the msconfig before and my computer is still being a ****.

Does anyone know if I can still fix my computer just by making sure the things inside are tight or not?

Thanks.

try this unplug everything drain the power of your computer. Decharge your self by touching the metal frame of the compputer afther that check to see if the cable to the hdd, cd rom and all that stuff is set in good then take your ram out then reset it and give it a try

Here is my system also.....

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BOYZ-332E68158B
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model N0CPP010
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~951 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVWP13, 6/26/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS