PC Keeps Freezing No Error Message Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am a new user to techspot and would like some help please (I trust I have posted this in the correct place?).

My PC ( Packard Bell I Extreme) constantly freezes at least 2-3 times a day, has been on-going for 2 months now.
There is no warning and no error message, the cursor is also frozen.
My machine does not respond to any commands from the key board i.e. (C A D Control Alt Delete)
My only current course of action is to turn off and re-boot.
This generally happens over an hour into using my machine and has never happened at start up.
I have recently changed my ISP provider (to Wanadoo or Wana-don't as I like to call them) as I have moved from the UK to France. I have fortunately never suffered from PC freezes before installing the Wanadoo software.
Could it be this or is it a red herring???

I am running on:
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
Version 2002
AMD Athlon CP 2600+
1.91 GHz, 704 MB of RAM

I also use the latest version of Norton Anti Virus and firewall which sweeps weekly and not viruses or Trojans have been detected
I use Lavasoft SE Ad-ware - all up to date and spy sweeper both of which run weekly.
I have run a defrag and checked for Micro soft updates!

Can anyone provide me with any ideas to solve this recurring problem?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

could be power issues from country to country. Does france run on a different hertz than england?

also, when's the last time you cleaned your computer?

Yes France does have a different power system, however I am running the machine from a power adapter/converter and then off a (Belkin power surge extension)

I am not quite sure what you mean by "cleaning my machine”? Can you give me some more detail please?

Thanks

I´ve a simular problem.

Havn´t seen it over time yet, I bought the pc this week, but I´ve got the same symptoms. The pc freezes without any cause.
There is no warning and no error message, the cursor is also frozen.
My machine does not respond to any commands from the key board i.e. (C A D Control Alt Delete)
My only current course of action is to turn off and re-boot.

I´m running on:
Win XP Home sp2
AMD Sempron (P) 3000+ 1.8 GHz
512 MB Ram

I have Norton Antivirus and Firewall..

In my case it´s not any hertz problem..but it may be a power supply issue?
Nor I don´t think so either.

As I only got the pc for a couple of days I havn´t installed a lot of "crap" and I can´t see any need for cleaning it.
The only thing I´ve installed is updates from microsoft..

Hi People,

I have given my PC a really good clean....an amazing amount of dust has no been removed.

However, my machine is still freezing? :(

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks

I still got this problem.
I suspect it´s my wireless networkcard(drivers) that causes this problem.
Going to uninstall it and see if it helps.

well for starters i think you should start uninstalling Norton ISEC first, and also have an eye for components it leaves behind on your system (Liveupdate, etc)

reboot and see what happens..

goto [start>run] type in %systemroot%/minidump
zip up the most recent ones there (if any) and post them here <<if you do get any BSODs

make sure you have the latest drivers for all your devices (video, audio, mobo, etc)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back