PC keeps re-booting at XP Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. Hope this wasn't covered before, but I couldn't find anything with a search. Anyway, I'm working with an IBM Netvista. I've formated the HD several times, and whenever I try to load XP, it copies the installation files, then reboots itself. But after reboot, it blips the XP splash screen for a second then reboots again... and repeats this 'till infinity. It won't finish the rest of the install. I've switched out hard drives, and ram. I do see a few capacitors that have leaked on the mobo. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

- E

Well for sure leaking caps on the mobo is a bad thing and most likely you'll need to replace it soon. The sooner the better!

So lets try and get this thing booting so you can back up your data before the mobo crashes.

try this:
How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

Source:http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to Repair the Boot Sector:

Thanks for the info Kirock. Saving the data on the HD isn't that important, I've re-formatted anyway, so its just getting the thing to get past the xp screen for the install that's bothering me. The waranty for it is past due, and its kinda old anyway. It might just be another addition to the salvage pile. I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try besides replacing the mobo before I kick it to the curb. Thanks for your help.

This is kinda weird. I formated again, and re-installed 98 ME witch was on the pc originally, and it went through it fine. But about 5-10 seconds being in the OS the pc would shut down and restart by itself. So, its definatly going to be junked. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Hmm, that sounds like a power supply issue. As soon as Windows loads and starts using system resources, i.e. RAM, HDD access it over powers a dieing PSU. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back