PC keeps shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled upon these boards.
My PC keeps on randomly switching off by itself. It's not completely shutdown as I can still see the lights are blinking on the CPU. The screen just goes black and the LCD reads "No signal detected".

It occurs most when I play games, but would occasionally switch off when I surf the net as well. I tried running McAfee AV and it didn't pick up any virus.

Then I tried running McAfee on safe mode and it keeps on shutting down when it reads upto 5000++ files. It always happens at 5000++ files.

I have brought it back to the shop on 3 occasions already and it they can't seem to detect it. They have suggested to me that the power outtage in my home could be the main problem, but all electrical appliances are running fine including an old PC.

Anyway, here are my specs:

Pentium D 2.80Ghz
512MB RAM
O/S Win XP Professional
Nvidia 6600GT

I have checked on my Event Viewer and there's a list of errors in there saying its a CD Rom error and the description is given as such:
"The Device, \ CdRom 0, has a bad block".

There's also some Warnings which read: "Received a PPoE packet for an unknown session. Ignoring this packet."

I am really wondering if its a CD Rom problem but tested a few audio and visual CD's with no problems.Could it be a power problem or a Graphics Card problem as it almost always happens when I run a game. '''

Please help.

Cheers

first, download SpeedFan and post a screenshot/info of when your PC is doing nothing, and again when its doing something intensive (games/virus scan etc)

check that its not just windows sending your monitors to sleep by poking around in control panel>power settings or display settings..

if you still think there's nasties hidden on your PC then have a shot at this below and post in the security and web forum: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
and they'll give you the all clear or removal instructions..

that should get the ball rolling for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back