Pc Keeps Turning Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

I am having problems with my pc it keeps turning off for no reason :mad:the power just cuts,so i have to disconnect the pc from the power supply to turn it back on, (it only turns off when i am playing games,eg sims 2.)

I have a K7VT4APRO mother board, 1GB Ram 333mhz, Athlon XP2000 + processor, Radeon 9800 pro graphics card,i have on board sound the router is connected through the network connection on my motherboard.(Not USB)

I have just had a new power supply fitted which is 500 w and my chip motherboard and ram are also newly fitted.

If anyone can help i would be most greatfull :)

Thanks

sweetieaud said:
hi

I am having problems with my pc it keeps turning off for no reason :mad:the power just cuts,so i have to disconnect the pc from the power supply to turn it back on, (it only turns off when i am playing games,eg sims 2.)

I have a K7VT4APRO mother board, 1GB Ram 333mhz, Athlon XP2000 + processor, Radeon 9800 pro graphics card,i have on board sound the router is connected through the network connection on my motherboard.(Not USB)

I have just had a new power supply fitted which is 500 w and my chip motherboard and ram are also newly fitted.

If anyone can help i would be most greatfull :)

Thanks

Tried a different power socket ?

Ididmyc600 said:
Tried a different power socket ?

Hi
Thanks for the reply, the only one i had lol yes it was the first thing i did was to try a different socket, i also had it plugged in a belkin surge protector i thought it may have been that but i guess not.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

well if it only turns off while playing games, or certain games, i would first think to either power shortage or excess heat. since the 9800 is a faily modern card and it seems the rest of the system is fairly old, chances are the power supply may not be large enough or robust enough to maintain the required power levels. if the voltage drops too low can cause things like sponteneous powerdowns.

in the topic of excess heat its fairly self explanitory. since you are running 333Mhz memory and, correct me if i'm wrong, the xp 2000+ is rated at a 266 bus, is the system overclocked or is the memory not running at full spec? overclocked CPU's produce a lot of heat (and consume additional power) and if overclocked the video card could be producing additional heat and consuming more power as well.

ICUB4UCME
Thanks for your reply,the system is not overclocked,the memory is not ok i am waiting to upgrade the processor more money :-( , so do u think this may be my problem ?? im missing playing my sims 2 OFB :-( its so frustrating but im a woman i can wait.

Thanks again ICUB4UCME

Might be an overheat shutdown (if your system supports shutting down if your CPU overheats).

Also, you may have a problem with the Power Supply. It sounds like that to me if you have to unplug the computer and plug it in to start it up. I'm not sure what the PSU does internally to do this, but it typically does it usually when the PSU blows a fuse or has to reset the circuits.

I'd say that it is most likely to be either a over-heating problem, or your CPU can't handle those games. AMD XP 2000+ is pretty old, and you're trying to run new games that are power hungry on it. But, if you need to upgrade your CPU you'll also most likely have to upgrade your mobo, depending on the socket. For Sims and such I'd reccomend a AMD Athlon 64 3200+.

Hi

Thanks for your help, i had a new cpu fitted yesterday and i can play my sims once again :)
It is an akasa carnival 825 air cooled copper base which is brill although i am going to get a Gigabyte G Power Pro cpu as i have been surfing the net and lots of people recommend these and they can cool down your system much more than the one i have bought.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back