PC locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

biohazard1790

I built myself a new PC a few months ago. It's been working fine in general until about a month ago, when one day, during startup, the PC just locked up. I thought that it was a virus or something like that, so I formatted the computer and reinstalled Windows XP. As it turned out, however, the problem didn't go away. Now, occasionally even when doing something as simple as surfing Firefox results in either the computer stuttering or locking up. I'm beginning to suspect that my RAM is dying. Could it be the RAM, or something else?

Could be plenty of things. A defective component or data cable, perhaps something isn't seated all the way, maybe something is overheating...

Monitor your system's temperatures, open your case and reseat all of your components and cables and perhaps test your RAM with Memtest86.

I'm sure it's not a loose cable or something like that, because the computer was working fine the day before it started going apesh!t. And my temps are well-within optimal ranges, with the HD running at around 30C, the CPU at 35C/48-50C at idle/load.

I'll try to test the memory again, because the PC crashed when I attempted the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back