PC motherboard - Bleeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanoTIK

Hi all.

I was told today that my old computer doesn't have long to live, because it has been running hot and has started "bleeding", the guy told me he knew this because the round green things on the motherboard:

http://www.2cpu.com/albums/tyan_thunder_k8s/misc_012604_018.jpg (the round things with the silver top, with what looks like a "K" on them, this is not a pic of my motherboard - i googled it.) looked inflated, even have some powder residue on them.

this is a term i havn't heard of before, and i was curious to get a 2nd opinion on it.

is this just rubbish or truth?.

thanks again.

It's truth masked with "laymans" speak. A "bleeding" capacitor is one that has popped or is otherwise leaking electrolytic fluid. This will eventually cause voltage instability and ultimately cause the board to fail completely - Along with other components if you don't act soon. I suggest replacing your motherboard ASAP.

Ah.....great..

about 5/6 of the capacitors have blown (inflated tops, powder substance on them).

This pc isn't that old, (2 years max, xp home, 1.7ghz cpu, 512mb ram)

so im figuring this only happens when pc's run hot (meh, its a time computer, very tightly compacted in that crappy plastic case, so i dont blaim it for overheating).

Nevermind, cheers guys.

If the capacitor isn't mirror flat, it's blown.
I suppose extended overheat conditions could cause instability and blow out. But more likely, or equally, could be actual power issues. i.e. power supply.

If you feel your PC is letting you down. I would suggest, when you get a new mobo, to get a new case with lots of fans and a decent power supply with it. You won't be disappointed.

most motherboards have3 year warenty. So send it back for a new 1. Then you arein better shape then before.

you can get them replaced (probably better to get whole board replaced) but that doesnt mean you have solved the underlying problem :knock:

Ok lets break it down.

Problem is on the board.
Get a new board
problem gone

Let whatever company it is die over an spill over the error. You have warenty use it.

tedster said:
please don't blaspheme here.

I second that. some people are Christian and will be offended.

Back on topic, send the motherboard back to the company/manufacturer and get a replacement if it is still under warranty. Once replaced look at your case and cooling, as well as power supply issues. If you really wanna be safe get a new power supply, to be sure that is safe get a voltage regulator/stabiliser (to protect against fluctuations) and/or even get a UPS (backup power supply - UPS=Universal power supply)

same issue power instability?

Vigilante said:
If the capacitor isn't mirror flat, it's blown.
I suppose extended overheat conditions could cause instability and blow out. But more likely, or equally, could be actual power issues. i.e. power supply.

If you feel your PC is letting you down. I would suggest, when you get a new mobo, to get a new case with lots of fans and a decent power supply with it. You won't be disappointed.

hi, i had the same problem with my motherboard, its 2 years old max and it just stopped responding one day...
i am building a new pc... but my question is if the problem isnt from overheating... and from power instability then how do i fix that?
is there some kind of hardware thing you buy to protect your computer from power instability?
i have bought this power supply for the pc i am building: ANTEC SP-500 SMART POWER 2.0 500 WATT ATX12V V2.0 POWER SUPPLY

do good power supplies protect against power instability on their own? or should i buy something that helps it protect my pc against that kind of thing? and if they do it on their own, does the one i have bought (above also here: http://www.atacom.com/program/print...RCH_ALL&Item_code=POWS_ANTE_SP_50&USER_ID=www ) do that?
thanks

just in case it is from the power company and not from the powersupply itself, is there something i can do to safeguard against that? some kind of stabilizer gadget or something...
because i have noticed weird things about lighting also in my apartment sometimes weakens and strengthens (the light that is) for no reason
aside from moving out to a state where there is normal power supply (lol) is there a way to stabilize the crappy power that is coming from the company?

BUY a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). Basically it's a battery between you the power company and completely eliminates those annoying brown outs. Here's one for example:http://www.tigerdirect.com/Applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=770423&Sku=ULT31502

The more they cost the longer they power your system when the power goes out. This is not required, you just want it to stay on long enough to safely save your work and turn off computer in the event of an actual power failure.

Cheers

I agree fully with kirock, get yourself an UPS. Make absolutely sure it can carry your PC's full load though. Go to a PSU calculator site and get a good total watts figure before going and buying one. http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ should be close enough number-wise.

I have all my systems on UPS and they do a phenomenal job of protecting against the frequent brownouts, and flat out blackouts, we suffer here. They aren't cheap but are well worth the money spent. The better ones actually condition the power to your system thereby evening out the flow to the PSU but that can get expensive and your PSU should handle a lot of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back