PC No Longer Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built this PC about two months ago; ran fine until this morning. Woke up and it was off, couldn't power it back on. I removed the motherboard from the case to test it, but have had no luck. The power light on the motherboard comes on when the power supply is plugged in, but pressing the power button does absolutely nothing: no fans, nothing. I tested the power button on a different motherboard and it works fine. I'm running on the assumption that the motherboard is fried and am preparing to rma it in, but thought I would check and see if anyone has any other possibilities. I guess it could be the psu, but I would think the motherboard power light wouldn't come on then, plus I don't have another motherboard around that takes a 24-pin power connector to test with. I suppose I could pick up another psu, but I just don't think that is the problem. The specs are as follows:

Asus P5B-VM (using onboard video)
Pentium D 930 3.0 Ghz w/ stock cpu fan
400W Power Supply
Belkin Wireless G Card

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with your diagnosis of either a faulty psu or a dead mobo.

Try another psu first and see what happens.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

You could check to see if you have power at the motherboard connection with a voltmeter. Just put it on dc current and connect the positve on voltmeter to the green wire where it connects to motherboard and the black wire on voltmeter to a black wire in that same wiring harness(negative)_ and you should get some kind of reading . I believe it is 5 volts. If you are not familiar with a voltmeter just try to get a reading on the motherboard connection. If you get a voltage reading there then your power supply is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back