PC Not Recognizing 3rd DIMM Slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I recently decided to upgrade from 1gig of RAM to 2Gigs on my A7N8X-E Deluxe 2800+ ... It had 2 512Ram sticks in the first 2 slots (Which I assume means it never was running dual channel mode right?) Well I went and got a 1gig stick that matches exactly to every spec the 512 sticks have, except its one gig instead of 512. I put the 1gig stick in the #1 slot, 512 sticks in #2 and #3, but it shows i have 1536 RAM, the 3rd Dimm slot is not picking up anything at all, like its empty, except it isnt, and I know all 3 sticks of ram work just fine

Is there something Im missing thats causing the 3rd Dimm slot to not recongnize anything there? Because the PC does know it has a 3rd slot

Put the two 512MB memory modules in slots 1 & 2 leaving the 3rd slot to house the 1GB memory module. If that doesn't work, try booting the system with each memory module by itself to see if you haven't "burnt" one of the modules during the installation.

Hi! You really do want your board to run in dual channel mode because your bandwidth will skyrocket. I'd retire the two 512MB dimms and purchase an a exact twin of the 1GB dimm you already have. More than two dimms forces your motherboard to run the memory at 2T timing and that is much slower than 1T timing on an AMD board. Your current memory problem may stem from board limitations or from OS limitations.

How much video card memory do you have?

Didou said:
Put the two 512MB memory modules in slots 1 & 2 leaving the 3rd slot to house the 1GB memory module. If that doesn't work, try booting the system with each memory module by itself to see if you haven't "burnt" one of the modules during the installation.

Have tried this before, same thing, 3rd slot doesnt recognize any RAM and all 3 sticks work

And i figured 2gigs of Ram outweigh the performance of 1gig dual channeling so thats why i went ahead and bought an extra gig, i noticed a performance boost in just the extra 512 ive given myself, but im still short 512 thanks to the 3rd slot

Well if the third slot is shot, there isn't much you can do short of sending the motherboard back for repair. Has it never worked ?

I've never used it nope, but I can load up a program that shows that i do infact have 3 dimm slots, but the ram in the 3rd isnt recognized, no matter which stick is used, I figure if it was the slot being out of commission permanently it wouldnt show up in that program at all

You can still get dual channel memory performance by using the second and forth slots and two 1GB dimms.

only 3 slots =/

i was just wondering if theres a jumper or something in the bios i need to switch to enable it =(

*EDIT* Also missed your question about video card memory, currently thats 256 =)

I took a quick look at your motherboard manual, and I didn't see anything that would disable the third slot in the BIOS.

alright, thanks for the help, i guess ill have to manage with what i have then until i get a new PC, was just hoping i could up is performance some more for its final stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back