PC now crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

imxelite

I brought a motherboard that only has one ide slot available. So I had to hookup my harddrive and dvdrw together. The way the board is setup I had to hook the cd drive up as master and the harddrive as slave. I set the jumpers to cable select since the master, slave didn't work. Now whenever I try to burn a dvd my pc now crashes after about 15 mins of encoding. Any ideas?

your mobo will only have one ide slot if it has multiple sata ones

get a sata hdd and transfer your data onto it and you'll be sorted

Whats a good brand for HDD I currently have a maxtor 300gig. Another weird thing that is happening is I'm getting this flicker or something that looks as if my screen is switching between 32 bit to 256 colors. All of these problems go away if I disconnect the cd rom and only run the harddrive.

I get this message when I have a BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

please use the edit post button on your original post when you want to add information instead of putting a new reply

good hard drive brands are western digital and seagate, i think hitachi is quite good too

hdd's and optical drives don't always like being run on the same ide cable, plus putting them together means that the hard drive is forced to work slower because optical drives don't go as fast as hdd's and both devices on the same cable have to operate at the same speed

my suggestion is live without your cd drive for now if you can and get a sata hard drive

does it make a difference if you have the hdd on the end of the ide cable and the cd drive in the middle and then set the jumpers to master on the hdd and slave on the cd rom?

You are not supposed to run a Hard Drive on a cd-rom line. When your rom drive is operating, it will interfere with your hard drive's ability to put out right. I run Maxtor and Seagate sata hard discs and they both work fine. (Seagate and Maxtor are the same company now anyway). Western Digital, Samsung, there are a lot of good ones out there. Good Luck. (Seperate those drives!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back