PC Power Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a random problem the other day, my pc wouldnt start. It just wouldnt turn on, no spinning of fans, nothing on the screen, nothing. I dont know why, i didnt do anything the night before that wasnt abnormal, i was just using writing a word document, and the next morning it didnt turn on.

I opened up my pc to see what was happening on the inside, and i tried taking out ram etc and pressing the power button to see if the pc started up. I took out both my Ram, my Gfx card, my CD Drive and Hard drives and it still wont start, so ive kinda narrowed it down to my Motherboard, PSU or CPU. Another thing is that the Green light powers on (the one on the Motherboard) when i turn on the PSU. Any ideas on what the problem would be and if there is any way to fix it relatively easy?

PC Specs:
AMD64 X2 4200
Asus A8n SLI Deluxe
2GB Corsair Ram
120Gb Maxtor Hard Drive
40Gb Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 7800gt
500Watt PSU

(p.s. the pc is around one year old, and i ahvent been overclocking or anything)

Hi
Who made the psu? What are the specs on it? If it is a cheap one it is more than likley the problem, they typicaly don't have enough current in the 3 and 5 volt lines. Do you have another psu you can try to test the system?

First thing I would check is the PSU. Easiest way is to pop in a spare one. If you don't have one from another computer, you can purchase a PSU tester. They are quite reasonable.
Good luck.

You took out Gfx card !!!

Why.You need a monitor to see whats going on.
:dead:
Did you also take out all the others you named ?
All you'd have left is the case.:haha:
What did you expect this to accomplish ?
Or Did you mean removed and reinstalled these devices ?
I hope so.:confused:
Plug them back in and do a cold boot or Safe mode.
You probably need a new Power supply of at least 350 even if the
green light is on.What size is your current ?

ok, i think u got the wrong idea when i said i took things out :p What i did was i took out one stick of ram, tried turning it on, that didnt work, so i took out the other and replaced the original, pc still didnt turn on... I repeated this with my Gfx card and Hard drives etc, and by process of elimination i was able to establish that none of these pieces of hardware were at fault. And its not that the PC is turning on and i cant see anything, its that nothing actually happens. No power up, absolutely nothing, the only sign of life i see on my system is that green light on my motherboard.

The PSU is an aerocool, and its 550W. I could ask my m8 if i could borrow his PSU and try it in my pc, that aint much of a problem.

T-K,
That's the easiest way to eliminate the PSU. Borrow another one. They are usually easy to get out and in. Just make sure you ground yourself, before touching anything.

The green light on the MB is only one of the voltages. If your fans are not running and the HDD is not spinning it could be the 12v. However. it could be a number of other things also. The most obvious first, the PSU.

OK,but

So,You do mean you uninstalled/installed Gfx and plugged in your monitor.
Without that "You will get "Nothing"
If the motherboard green light is on,i'd try another monitor,or video card.
Concentrate on these.Memory and hardware should be ok.
Is the monitor light on when you switch it on ?
Does it blink ? If so that means it not receiving anything.
Does the case switch led turn on when you press it ?
Is there any sounds from fans or hardware ?
Do the drives blink when you boot pc ?
Try to check this without spending any money if you can borrow or have
older ones still around.
**So i think it's either your monitor or video card has had it.**
I hope i'm wrong but thats my conclusion from what you described.

well, im gonna borrow my m8s PSU this weekend and try that out on my system. In response to ur questions, the monitor does not light when i switch it on because the pc doesnt turn on; the Case switch LED doesnt turn on either; there are no sounds or anything from anything as nothing turns on; the drives dont blink.

Anyway, shouldnt the PC at least turn on, even if there is no video card in it? Ive put it back in, and the pc wont turn on still, but i am just wondering. Ill swap random pieces from my m8s pc into mine (ie video card, PSU, etc) as his pc is very similar, and ill see if it turns on.

My monitor will turn off and on all by itself.It has it's own power supply.
Plugged into my power bar.Of course theres nothing input it tells me on the screen.
This also happens when it's connected for use as i switch it on then my PC.
It says nothing input till i start my computer.
My previous monitor would just have a blinking green led till i booted my pc.
So it seems your monitor might have died.

As T-K has stated a couple of times, the computer will not begin the boot process, so the monitor wouldnt be causing the problem. And if he took the video card out and it wouldnt boot, then that isnt the problem either. When I begin to troubleshoot a no power issue, I disconnect everything from the Mobo except the PSU and CPU. If it still will not start the boot process then is a problem with the Mobo, Processor, or Power Supply. If there is a computer parts place near by they should be able to test the PSU if you take it to them or you can plug a spare into your Mobo if it has the correct adapters for your board. If the PSU is fine my next guess would be a bad Mobo, I have seen them go bad almost as often as PSU's.

Just my 2 cents.

What monitor means

It means you are monitoring what is being detected from your devices.
Otherwise theres no troubleshooting as theres no where to read your boot
listings,memory test etc.
I has a similar situation.My dealer determined my mbd was shot,but the
cpu was still ok.Never did know why.It wasn't a power surge.
So i purchased another cpu compatible mbd and connected
all my previous devices.All of them where in working order.
He had the tools to do this,i didn't.
He had no charges since i bought a new mbd there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back