PC Powers of during virus scan, after reformat Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( I have XP home , a compaq tower. I have a recovery cd.
I thought I had a virus, I rebooted in safe mode without networking and scanned with spybot search and destroy, and 70% into the scan It was just like someone pulled the plug to the computer tower. It just shut off, did not "shut down" it shut off. SO I tried once again in safe mode to run the AVG virus scan, and again 90% into the scan the computer powers off with no warning. So I started up normally and ran avg once again, nothing it again powered off, I searched help forums and guessed I have java/byteverfiy virus from looking at logs on virus scans and tried NUMEROUS cleaners, nothing worked. So I Tried all of them including an online virus scan and in the middle of it, my computer powers off even on the online one, so I backed up and..
Reformatted :(
Rebooted with the recovery cd I received from Compaq and reformatted, connected to my internet, then downloaded avg free anti virus and scanned and again, the computer powered off 70% into the scan again.I was able to install and un install any other program and run anything internet Photoshop, messengers just not a virus scan of any sort. I am at a loss it only does this during a virus scan:( I don't know what the problem is.
The only changes I had done before I reformatted that I can think of is instillation of net fusion and defragmented the hard drive for the first time in too long, but now that I have reformatted none of that should matter.

PLEASE anyhelp would be so appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have any temperature monitoring software installed in your computer?

If not, download this:https://www.techspot.com/downloads/26-motherboard-monitor.html

Computers will automatically turn themselves off when they get too hot, so let's check if this is your problem first. When you run a virus scan, it makes your computer work pretty hard, so this MAY explain why it is only happening during virus scans (unless for example, you are able to play graphic intensive games without this problem).

When you go to install that program, you will need to know your make/model of your motherboard. If you don't know, and don't know how to find out, then you can download this program instead:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/433-everest-home-edition.html

The first one is a much smaller easier to use program for getting temps. The second one is a much larger more complex program that does WAY more than just getting your temps, but either will do the job.

Let us know what kind of temps you are hitting. If your CPU is up in the 60c+ ranges, stop using it right away!

Thankss everyone I figured it out and thought I would find all the forumms I posted in and update everyone.

Apparently it was a bad sector on my hard drive, I did a chkdsk and itfound 1 bad sector, rebooted and never again! The virus scan runs properly now. No powering off! I am so excited!
The reason I believe it only did it during a virus scan was because it was the only program trying to acess or "check" that bad sector and when it did it powered down for whatever reason.

The only crappy part....
I prob didnt have to reformat lol BUT I feel like I have a new pc yay!
*goes to download more music*
bye and thanks!

Great news! Glad you got it yourself back up and running.

By the way, what make is your hard drive? It probably wouldn't hurt to run a diagnostic program on it just to confirm that it is not failing on you! Probably fine. The bad sector could have been caused by just about anything but it can't hurt to check.

Always good to know these things in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back