Not open for further replies.

aZn invaZn

first off here are my specifications

Antec 900 case
850W Antec Quattro PSU
8800GTX stock
C2D E6850 @ stock
2GB ram 800mhz

This problem has been happening sometimes after i move my pc, whether it be turning it on its side, moving it in a car, etc. Basically, after ive moved the pc in one way or another, and try to turn it back on, it will sometimes shut off again after about 10 seconds, before the boot screen appears. I can fix this usually by tilting the case back on its side, shaking it gently etc, but it usually takes multiple tries to make it turn on properly again. but its really annoying because im afraid to move it now. Note that it is not a hardware issue as when the pc IS on, its never suddenly turned off, it only happens after i move it.

my guess is perhaps a short-circuiting issue of some sort, but id like an expert opinion on this and perhaps a solution or troubleshooting guide.

thanks in advance

The motherboard is shorting out... Make sure you don't have extra standoffs under the board and make sure it is mounted correctly

Then continue to deal with your problem. The standoffs, are what they sound like, they hold the motherboard off of the metal plate behind it. If more were put in the plate than there are screw holes for the motherboard that could be your problem. If it was installed with no standoffs that is probably your problem.

At the very least reseat your RAM, Video Card, and any additional cards you have.

thanks for the help,

what i meant in my last post is that i was wondering if there was a quick way to pinpoint whether or not it is a standoff issue.

i would be willing to rebuild if theres no other solution

Removing the motherboard to check for the proper installation of the standoffs is far short of rebuilding the whole PC but it's up to you.

do i just unplug everything off the motherboard and unscrew all the screws?
what do standoffs usually look like and how can i spot a faulty one?

sorry ive got limited knowledge about hardware, ive never actually built a full pc myself.

thanks for the help though

Its easier if you unplug some of the wires (you can probably get by with leaving the power switch, reset switch, leds, ect. Then remove any video card, and other PCI cards. Obviously the CPU, heatsink, and RAM can stay. The standoffs are just little things about 2-3mm tall that go into screw holes in the back plate and also will accept the screw going through your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back