P4EE 3.73/1066 Bus
512MB DDR2 533 RAM
160GB Serial ATA HD
GeForce 6800 Ultra Video card
Abit Intel 925XE PCI Express Mobo
Pioneer DVDRW+/- drive
Antec Metallic Grey Server Chassis
Thermaltake 480W P.S.

OK. My PC keeps rebooting during games. That and everytime i shut down my system and turn it back on my Hard Drive wont get recognized.I always have to hit the power button to turn it off and as soon as the light goes off hurry up and hit it again to turn it on in order for my hard drive to get recognized. Could it be the Power Supply or the Motherboard? Any help would be appreciated with these two problems. Thanx in advance.

Is this
your psu? If so it may be too weak. It has enough watts, but only has 18a on the 12v rail. You should look for one approaching 30a for that kind of rig.

Here are two good psus.

A pretty cheap, but good psu.
Tagan 480w
More expensive, but even better psu.
Powerstream 520w

Yes that is it. I was reading another thread with a guy having a similar problem and they were talking the same language you were talking.lol.:D Hey if it's better, i'll go ahead and buy it. I just need to know what the problem is. I'm sort of a newb, if you can explain a little better, please do. Btw, the one on the bottom looks good.

I'm gonna try switching my video card to have a single cord coming to it instead of a couple. See if that helps.

But so far, i'm gonna get the new PSU.

Well, it isn't too hard to understand the problem. You have a very power hungry cpu, a very power hungry video card, and a hard drive and a dvd drive which all use 12v power. When you have a power hungry system you need to "feed" it lots of (12v) power or it will have either instability problems or will not work at all. The powerstream psu has adjustable rails, so if a rail gets low, the light changes to yellow/red, which means you can adjust it to give it more power where needed.

What do you mean by 2 cords going into the video card? Are you using one of those 2 (4pin) molex to 1 (6pin) pci-e power adapters?

BTW: Why do you only have 512mb of ram? With all those top of the line parts, you should have a gig. at the minimum.

As far as I know, if you have an Ultra, you have to have both power supply cords plugged in or you will be asking for problems. But then again, I don't have a PCI-E card, maybe it's different?

pifg99 said:
Hello all. Before i go on, let me give you the specs of my machine:

P4EE 3.73/1066 Bus
512MB DDR2 533 RAM
160GB Serial ATA HD
GeForce 6800 Ultra Video card
Abit Intel 925XE PCI Express Mobo
Pioneer DVDRW+/- drive
Antec Metallic Grey Server Chassis
Thermaltake 480W P.S.

OK. My PC keeps rebooting during games. That and everytime i shut down my system and turn it back on my Hard Drive wont get recognized.I always have to hit the power button to turn it off and as soon as the light goes off hurry up and hit it again to turn it on in order for my hard drive to get recognized. Could it be the Power Supply or the Motherboard? Any help would be appreciated with these two problems. Thanx in advance.

The problem is your power supply, the 3.3V and 5V logic voltages are insufficient. Hard drives don't need to have 12V to be recognized, only 5V logic would be enough for the "smart" fuctions to report exact drive model number, configuration settings, and boot failure faults.

I only meant when you share power connectors on one cord of the PSU.Was doing that before with the Ultra and some other devices.The Ultra just has the cable that connects the vid card to the "regular" power supply connector.Then i was using that same cord to share with some other devices. Now i just switched it to use a cord all by itself and i'm still having the same problem.

Ram was cheap so i couldn't resist only sticking 512 in there. I think it's a good start.

I think i already have my thermaltake sold to my mom. That's the money i'm going to use to get the new P.S.. Well, some of it.

Nein, i sure hope you're right. Can't wait to buy and put the new one in.

pifg99 said:
Nein, i sure hope you're right. Can't wait to buy and put the new one in.
I prefered to avoid and normally don't post opinions, feelings, etc... as help.

Nein, so what 3.3v and 5v voltages would be sufficient? And don't you mean amperages on the 3.3v and 5v? He didn't(to my knowledge) state his current voltages. His current psu should have enough 3.3v and 5v amperages, 30a and 40a respectively. His 12v amperage is somewhat low though, 18a.

A hard drive needs 12v power to work.

What about the Antec NeoPower 480? That has +12V1 and 2 with Max load at 18A and 15A. Still kinda low but is that ok for this PSU?

I know that people really like that psu, but I'm not sure about dual rails. I think a strong single rail is better, but whatever. If it were me, and I wanted a dual rail psu, I'd look for a min. of 20a on each rail.

pifg99 said:
What about the Antec NeoPower 480? That has +12V1 and 2 with Max load at 18A and 15A. Still kinda low but is that ok for this PSU?
It is more useful to someone giving you an answer if your question is more complete and contained pertinent as well as supportive information. For example of pertinent and supportive....

This link to specs of a prospective power supply that is full of useless technical fluff, nothing of use to your particular search of a specifically appropriate power supply.

This link to specs of a prospective power supply also belonging in a salesman brochure, and of no use to your particular search of a specifically appropriate power supply.

The above specs are only good enough to sale power supplies to ignoramuses with half-baked technical expertise.

What specs are "pertinent and supportive?" The antec link is about as detailed as you're going to find for a power supply. What are the parameters for his "specifically appropriate" power supply? How are his current 3.3v and 5v too low on voltage as you said earlier? He didn't state his actual voltages. So what is the "right" power supply nein, you don't "believe" anything, so which one is the best, no subjectivity involved?

The pc power and cooling 510w sli link
is one of the best, if not THE best sli psu. It also costs a small fortune. ~$240.

There's a PC Power and Cooling review from some guy who says the voltages on the NeoPower 480 weren't good enough for his high end system.

Will the 510w sli work in my single vid card system? If so, i'm gonna go for it. They look like great power supplies.Nvidia certified.

Pc power and cooling are very excellent psus. You wouldn't need the sli version, the 510 express is the same thing, but made for 1 video card instead of two. I think it is also cheaper. Did you see on their home page that 510w is the continous power rating? Most mfgs. list max power(the 510's max power is 650w!), but not pcp&c. If that psu doesn't have enough power, I don't know what psu will. The only downside is that these psu's are a little noisier than quiet psus.

edit: Does your 6800ultra have 2 molex connectors, or a single 6 pin power connector? It looks like they can be either way.

Yes i noticed that. Seems awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and order the 510 Express then. As far as the noise goes, that's not a good thing but i've been using mostly noisy PCs all my life so i think i'll be able to put up with it fine.

My vid card has the single 6 pin connector. It's an eVGA.

Thanks for the reccommendation on this PSU.

I'm gonna try to order it within the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back