TechSpot

pc problems

By raze
Jul 21, 2005
  1. I am not the smartest computer person out there and i have run into problems with my computer, and i am at a loss.

It is a Dell (unfortunately...lol) p4 3.06ht, 1 g of ram, radeon 9600 128 mb, xp with sp2, 56g hd.

it is out of warranty so dell is no help(they think a full restore solves every problem). I am not sure exactly what my problem is. I have done the restore (twice to make sure) so i don't think it a software issue.

I have video problems. I get 1/2 inch flashing lines across the screen at various times. With some programs on start-up the wall paper shows up in the new window out of place. If i minimize with alt+tab some programs will come back up invisible. I can hear the game running but not see it.

I also get other odd issues. If i select a file and use ctrl to select others i automatically get copies of the file after i select the 4Th or 5Th one. My D drive suddenly disappeared also.(CD-ROM). Some time the computer just hangs or freeze also. Seems very slow.

I have run a 2 up-to date virus, and anti-spy ware programs in normal and safe mode.

Ran the hardware diagnostic that came with the computer they showed no errors

Found a program call SiSoftware Sandra. Ran benchmarks and compared them to similar products. Seem fine. Ran a burn test/stress test on all the hardware it came up with no errors.

Manually went through the hardware list to check for up-dated drivers.

I am at a loss at where to go next.

Any info or suggestion would be greatly appreciated and Ty for any help in advance.

Like i said i am not the most computer literate person, so there is no saying that anything i did check was right.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.