TechSpot

PC Randomly Freezes

1. Hi. My PC randomly freezes and the only way to power it off is via the PSU switch. I did SFC scans and swapped out the old RAM with new one but it still freezes. I also scanned for viruses and ran CCleaner. I don't get any errors at all, it just freezes. I'm completely stumped, any help would be appreciated. Thanks. [​IMG]

PC Specs:
    GPU: EVGA GTX 650 1GB
    CPU: Intel E5400 @ 2.7Ghz
    RAM: 2.50 GB
    Motherboard: ASROCK G31M-GS R2.0
    PSU: ThermalTake TR2 600W
    HDD: WD 160 GB

Nothing is overclocked.

2. Frozwire

Frozwire TS Member Posts: 63

I have had the same issue before when I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 on one of my machines. I got random computer freezes and hangs. I installed all necessary windows updates and updated the devices drivers but the problem still persists until when I tried to clock down my RAM settings in BIOS and the issue have been resolved so far.

3. DaFroginator101

DaFroginator101 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

How did you clock down your RAM settings?

4. Frozwire

Frozwire TS Member Posts: 63

Go to your system BIOS. under Advanced>Chipset Configuration>Dram Frequency. If it is set to AUTO then try to change it with the supported appropriate RAM frequencies [333MHz (DDRII667)] and [400MHz (DDRII800)].

5. DaFroginator101

It still froze... :/

6. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +185

Try running a check disk on it. It maybe your hard drive.

7. DaFroginator101

I did on both partitions, but no errors.

8. Cobalt006

Have you installed any new software lately.? Have you install any new drivers? What Anti virus program are you using?

9. DaFroginator101

No, I am using Vipre.

10. Cobalt006

Try doing a clean boot. Maybe this way you maybe able to narrow it down.

11. DaFroginator101

It freezes on the BIOS screen sometimes, before it even accesses the HDD so it can't be a software problem right?

12. Cobalt006

If it is freezing on the bios screen. It is your motherboard.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Tmagic650 likes this.
  13. DaFroginator101

Hey. Turns out the system registry got corrupted so I had to reinstall Windows. It works now but thanks for the help. [Solved]

14. Cobalt006

Cool(y) Glad to here this and thanks for posting back. Let us no if you have anymore problems.

15. DaFroginator101

Well that repair guy didn't know **** lol. Still froze with new Windows. Bought new HDD, still froze. So I bought a combo of an AMD motherboard, AMD processor and DDR3 RAM. (My first AMD setup :D) So everything is fine...since I just bought a new part for everything. x.x :) Just keeping you guys in the loop. It was most likely one of those 3. (Leaning more towards motherboard, since its my 3-4th motherboard purchase.

Cobalt006 likes this.
  16. Cobalt006

Have to agree think it was the motherboard. Any way good luck with your new build.(y)

Thanks for posting back.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.