PC randomly shuts down

I'm having the same problem. Seems my system used to shut down (partially, leaving lights on) after about an hour. After having switched the power supply yesterday, I found it stayed up for almost 8 hours before shutting down. I was sure I had the problem solved. Now I've stayed up for about 6 hours in Safe Mode. I don't know how much longer that will last, but it's still better than the 45 minutes to an hour I was getting before. Yikes. There are a few other posts about this issue on this site.

Moderator note: Moved from this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-randomly-shuts-down.205590/#post-1455129

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dana. I would suggest that you go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum because if you can run in safe mode that means there is the potential that your system is infected (or it could be due to registry corruption or driver conflicts). It is absolutely essential that you read and follow the 2 stickies at the top of that forum posted by Julio and that you follow the instructions as given.

Also, systems shutting down after awhile can be an indication that you have a heat issue and high temps will shut down a system fast. Is there any dust built-up?

According to an open source resource monitoring tool my CPU cores are around 98 degrees farenheit...That seems well within the norm. Right? The case has been opened, the power supply swapped, and lots of dust removed. As for virii, I can look into it, but I don't think that's the culprit. I will review the Virus and Malware forum stickies. Thanks.

Give us your make and model of your cpu. Has there been any crashes since you have been running in Safe Mode?

Back