PC reseting while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a problem with my PC resetting while playing games.
I play final fantasy XI on my PC, i am always getting a reset alot.
Sometimes the game just crashes back to windows but most of the time the pc just resets.
This problem seems to be random, sometimes it will crash or reset maybe playing for 5 minutes other times i could leave the game on for hours without a problem.
My Pc is,
AMD Athlon 1800+
K7 Triton Nforce 2 Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2)
Nvidia Geforce FX5200 Video Card
256MB DDR RAM
I think it power supply is 300w, but not quite sure.
DVD rom, DVD burner
2 Network Cards
80GB Seagate HDD.

I thought it was possible that i could have a cooling problem, i am leaving the side cover off my case but the problem still occurs.
I have had the same set up in my PC and have been playing FFXI for the past 6 months with no problem, only recently i started having this problem.

Any idea on what could be causing this would be great.

Thank You.

Are you using the latest motherboard and video drivers? Have you checked for a patch or update for Final Fantasy? Make sure there is no dust in the power supply or processor heatsink. The 5200's seem to be very troublesome. A faulty or cheap power supply could be the cause. Install Motherboard Monitor and it will tell you your system temps.

I have all the latest drivers installed.
Final Fantasy XI is also up to date.
I have heard of alot of people having problems with my video card.
Possibly this could be the problem, i forgot to mention the game also freezes now and then.
With the screen freezing the only way i can get out of it is hit the reset button on my pc, do you think this would be a problem with my video card?
What else could cause the screen to freeze. It does not happen that often, it usually just resets my pc or crashes back to windows.
But most of the time, all most every time my pc will reset.
Thank you for the reply i will try mother monitor.
My video card is about 1 year old, its been really good until recently if this is the problem.

Borrow a more powerful power-supply from a friend, say 400watts or over, or a brand-name such as Enermax or Antec or Thermaltake from 350w upwards.
PSUs degrade over time, and if yours is borderline to start with, it will by now have deteriorated enough to show your PC's symptoms.

I cleaned out my power supply from dust, seems to working ok now.
Looks like that must of been the problem, although i still have the game running really slow now and then.
But the main problem with my pc resetting seems to be gone.
Thanks alot for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back