TechSpot

pc restarts on internet connect - minidump included?

By perko121
Nov 3, 2006
  1. Hi all I have this problem for very long time.
    I have ADSL Siemens C-010I Ethernet modem. OS is Windows XP SP2 with latest hotfixes. When I install Zone Alarm (any version), almost every time I try to connect on internet my PC restarts. (even on the clean install of windows xp). With other firewalls it is ok.
    I tried same WinXP installation on my laptop and installed Zone Alarm and there is no problem with laptop. So it must be smthn inside PC. I have 2 LAN cards on PC (Nvidia & Realtek) and comp restarts with both of them. I tried to change memory slots, remove all cards from PCI slots and nothing helped.

HINT: It restarts maybe 8 of 10 times I try to connect to internet. It also restarts when ADSL modem is connected to PC and I try to reinstall my "Local Area Network" Connection, and also when I try to change my TCP/IP address from manual to automatic (only with zone alarm INSTALLED and siemens modem PLUGGED IN).

Ever time PC restarts in this case, an minidump file is created in windows/minidump/ folder. I've installed "Debugging tools from Windows" and here is minidump info it shows:

Code:
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger  Version 6.6.0007.5
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110206-01.dmp]
    Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    ****************************************************************************
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
    ****************************************************************************
    Executable search path is: 
    * Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
    * The Symbol Path can be set by:                                    *
    *   using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable.                 *
    *   using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
    *   using .sympath and .sympath+                                    *
    Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
    Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2.2096) UP Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
    Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x80559a40
    Debug session time: Thu Nov  2 23:43:28.109 2006 (GMT+1)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:03:43.716
    * Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
    * The Symbol Path can be set by:                                    *
    *   using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable.                 *
    *   using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
    *   using .sympath and .sympath+                                    *
    Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
    Loading Kernel Symbols
    ................................................................................................................................
    Loading User Symbols
    Loading unloaded module list
    Unable to load image wanarp.sys, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for wanarp.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for wanarp.sys
    *******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 100000D1, {321c359b, 2, 1, 81b7b028}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for tcpip.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tcpip.sys
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for TDI.SYS
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for TDI.SYS
    Probably caused by : wanarp.sys ( wanarp+5402 )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

I'm not very familiar to minidump reading so if could someone give me an note what could be the problem.
    Tnx in advance

2. xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx TS Rookie Posts: 1,069

from the look of it your problem is caused by wanarp Some malware camouflage themselves as wanarp.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. have you try to run maleware ect... scans also afther you do the dum file type lmv to get more info

3. perko121

perko121 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did all possible spyware/trojan/virus scans and now I replaced wanarp.sys with original file from WinXP CD and it again restarts and show exact minidump file.
    Here is inf after lmv command:

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/1947362/minidump_lmv.zip.html
    HINT: I also did detailed disk scan (Avast), and memory scan (memtest386) and it showed no error.

4. xxdanielxx

try this go to sysinfo.org when u open that site go to your start menu,run & type msconfig go to startups and type the name of each item in the startup on the site this will show u any vir/troj.mal etc.... that a virus scan may of miss it works very well I have gone to many jobs where that is the problem. also you could go to the site of your. wait do you have a symbol for your debuger

5. perko121

perko121 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I did and all processes are good. I've just reinstalled my comp with brand new Windows XP PRO SP2 and still same problem. So I gave up and installed kerio Personal Firewall. It works very well with this firewall.

6. kwspony

kwspony TS Booster Posts: 121

How do you get the minidump info? I have a PC I am building and I am having issues with it. There is no OS in it yet, one of my issues, and would like to get at this minidump info.

7. xxdanielxx

to get a minidump you need an os on it then u go to c/windows/minidump

8. kwspony

kwspony TS Booster Posts: 121

Bummer. I think my issue is my memory sticks not being compatible with my mobo, even though Kingston says there are ECS says they aren't. So, I am looking for some others now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.