TechSpot

Pc Restarts When I Use Cd Drom Drive

By mattyj131
Jun 28, 2004
  1. Hi,

I'm having problems with with PC, when i use the cd-rom drive to play a cd or dvd it will play fine and then halfway through it will just reboot for no reason, when it restarts it comes up with the system recovered from a fatal error message. Ive looked at the fault and followed the steps to fix it. It says its the cd-rom drive and to update the driver which ive done, but this hasnt fixed the error.

A couple of weeks ago i downloaded and ran the program spybot search and destroy to remove anoying spyware from my computer, im not sure if this has caused the fault but i cant think what else it could be? It wouldnt be such a problem if the error was caught and handled but it reboots my computer and its a pain?

Any ideas, is there any good freeware software that will debug and fix these kind of problems?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You might have a hardware-problem.
    Check the temperatures from your CPU and graphics card. Maybe the cooler-fans are dusty and need to be cleaned (do NOT use a vacuum-cleaner, you have been warned!).

What are the specs for your power-supply?
    While you're at it, please fill out your PC-specs under "user cp" (top of this page)

3. mattyj131

mattyj131 TS Rookie Topic Starter

That makes sense, a few months ago my pc crashed, the bios reset the clock speed settings, it was running at 1 gig when it should of been 2.6, maybe the frequency is too high? Do you know what it should be at for the memory and processor?

4. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Your PC specification is not sufficient enough yet. Please fill in the model name of your motherboard.

By the way, are you running a PC100 or PC133 RAM? You have not stated your RAM type clearly.

As for the CPU, when you mean 2.6 GHZ, are you refering to an AMD XP2600+ processor? As far as i m aware of, no Barton, Palamino, TBred A or TBred B core processor runs at 2.6GHz.

5. mattyj131

Sorry its 2.8gig 512mb DDR PC 2700, my motherboard is asus

6. young&wild

Once again...there is no AMD processor running at 2.8 GHZ. I m pretty sure your processor is AMD XP2800+ which doesn;t run at 2.8GHZ clock speed but is equivalent to a Pentium 2.8GHz.

By default your processor should be running at a clock speed of 2.08GHZ if its a Barton core or 2.25GHz if its a TBRed core.

In order to achieve default speed set the multpliers and CPU FSB to the folllowing.

Barton Core ==> 166 x 12.5

or

TBred Core ==> 166 x 13.5

where 166 is the FSB and 12.5 and 13.5 refers to the multipliers.

7. mattyj131

Its actually 2.6Gig, it was running at 166 = 2.8gig. Ive changed it to 165 and its working fine now.

Thanks!

8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

As previously stated, if you have an Athlon XP processor the fastest default speed for one (3200+) is 2.2Ghz. If you are running an Athlon XP faster than this then you are overclocking the processor.

9. young&wild

Also this overclocking may explain why your CD ROM drive caused your pc to reboot automatically. It shows that you system was not stable at that speed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.