PC restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. i am new to the finer details of computing so i will apologise in advance for my in-experience.
I recently purchased a packard bell laptop from an old friend,the computer works ok. however it has information on it that i dont want,so is there any way that i can just wipe it clean? so its just like it came straight off the shelf? then re-install windows xp?
Also some of the parts of the laptop dont work e.g speakers. ive heard about drivers that fix the problem but im not sure.
can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated.

The easiest way to wipe it clean, is not actually to "wipe" it, but to just remove the Partition during the Windows initial setup

From booting from the Windows setup CD you will come to an area which states to select the partition to install Windows onto etc. At this point you should also notice a prompt that allows you to remove the Partition(s) (pressing such strange keys as "L")
Once the Partition has been removed, you will then be able to continue a clean install of Windows :)

Also here's a good drivers thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic117607.html ;)

Hi guys. i am new to the finer details of computing so i will apologise in advance for my in-experience.
I recently purchased a packard bell laptop from an old friend,the computer works ok. however it has information on it that i dont want,so is there any way that i can just wipe it clean? so its just like it came straight off the shelf? then re-install windows xp?
Also some of the parts of the laptop dont work e.g speakers. ive heard about drivers that fix the problem but im not sure.
can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance and any help will be appreciated.

Two things.....
1. You mentioned "Packard Bell" as the brand of laptop. In most cases this usually means this is a pretty old computer. You will more than likely have a hard time finding the drivers to get it working properly with Windows XP.
2. The CD you need (as stated earlier) is the one that came in the box with that laptop 10 years ago. But since it's so old, he'll probably give you a box of about 20 or so floppy disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back