PC - S-video to TV , no sound, wonder why...

Sep 12, 2005
  1. Hello all,

My apologies if I'm about to ask a stupid question...but....
    As the title explains it...I connected my PC to my TV with an S-video cable and managed to get quite a decent picture but there's no sound. No idea why.

Does S-video only carry a video signal or does it also carry the audio?

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

I'm pretty sure it's only video, my svideo cable has two rca jack cables built in with it(red, white) for the audio, so I guess that's how you get audio with svideo.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You need a separate cable for audio. The most probable solution would be a cable with 3.5mm stereo phone jack in one end (computer) and 4 RCA connectors in the other (TV).
  4. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

At last, something that I can also put my twopense worth in with confidence.

The S-Video carries the luminance (simplified somewhat as brightness) & chromance (colour information) signals only. It gives a better quality signal than the CVBS/Phono/RCA input which has these signals combined which can lead to crosstalk or the colour spillage.

Because my PC room is relatively small I can watch the TV using the S-video and use the PCs speakers to listens to the sound. Another alternative, depending on distance and requirements, is the use of a audio/video sender which can employed to send the audio portion of the signal to the TV; albeit in mono.

5. BBoW

BBoW TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Hey all,

Thanx for the quick answers.
    I have connected the audio cables to my DVD player with surround sound and man the sound is b*tchin' good!

Thanks again,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.