PC - S-video to TV , no sound, wonder why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBoW

Hello all,

My apologies if I'm about to ask a stupid question...but....
As the title explains it...I connected my PC to my TV with an S-video cable and managed to get quite a decent picture but there's no sound. No idea why.

Does S-video only carry a video signal or does it also carry the audio?

Thanks,

Bbow

I'm pretty sure it's only video, my svideo cable has two rca jack cables built in with it(red, white) for the audio, so I guess that's how you get audio with svideo.

You need a separate cable for audio. The most probable solution would be a cable with 3.5mm stereo phone jack in one end (computer) and 4 RCA connectors in the other (TV).

At last, something that I can also put my twopense worth in with confidence.

The S-Video carries the luminance (simplified somewhat as brightness) & chromance (colour information) signals only. It gives a better quality signal than the CVBS/Phono/RCA input which has these signals combined which can lead to crosstalk or the colour spillage.

Because my PC room is relatively small I can watch the TV using the S-video and use the PCs speakers to listens to the sound. Another alternative, depending on distance and requirements, is the use of a audio/video sender which can employed to send the audio portion of the signal to the TV; albeit in mono.

Regards

PFJ

Fixed!

Hey all,

Thanx for the quick answers.
I have connected the audio cables to my DVD player with surround sound and man the sound is b*tchin' good!

Thanks again,

Bbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back