TechSpot

PC shipments continue downward trend with 11% drop in Q2

By Jos
Jul 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. PC shipments continued their downward trend during the second quarter of the year according to the latest data from two leading market research firms. Specifically, IDC estimated that unit sales dropped 11.4%, while Gartner put the decline at 10.9%. Both...

Read more

2. Stampede of PC gamers coming in 3,2,1....

cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

Hey, its the truth. There will always be PC Enthusiasts like me but todays Thin Clients (both all in one monitor and mini-units) have i3 + type power and strong GPU performance in something the size of a cracker box or smaller.
    The world is changing.

PC's will still be around, just in a different form.

hammer2085 and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. I still recall when many of the old dinosaurs and gamers here all said tablets were a fad...

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 895   +135

For the reports, what is the definition of "PC"? Will Windows based tablets be included or no?

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

They are a fad, they're not called phones yet.
    Technically anything that is used for personal computing is a PC. Phones, tablets, netbooks, notebooks, and desktops all are used for personal computing. Before long they will have wrist watches out, that will do the same and more as the 80's PC. The fact that you can actually carry it with you everywhere, makes it even more personal.

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

hmm... still could be a fad. I dont think it is, but it's still possible. Who said it wasnt still a fad at this point?

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,761   +97

If Microsoft would just lower the price on tablets and hybrid laptop/tablet to where everyone could buy one then PC sales would soar! So if they just want to be where it is then just have to live with the facts that sales are down and cheaper tablets are being purchased more that runs another OS.

Again Microsoft doesn't think outside the box just think everything is the same as it always has been. Hello wake-up from your dream of Windows everywhere it's the two A's taking over the market share. Big M lost out. But you can make it happen again reduce those prices get the rest on board otherwise nothing going to move.

I think you all should reduce prices like you did in 2012 selling desktops dual and quad for less $400 bucks. Lets make it happen people get these tablets, laptops and desktop out of here. Do whatever it takes to get it done. We can take a loss but let those number of sales climb off the charts..

But this is only a dream... :p

9. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Honestly, by looking at the definition of a PC, I couldnt see why phones, tablets, macs, and computers running linux arent considered PCs. If I'm missing something, point me in the right direction.

10. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

I agree. The problem is that the word "PC" has become synonymous with machines running some form of windows.

11. alcarin2030

alcarin2030 TS Enthusiast Posts: 109   +13

No one takes into account that most people already have a PC at home. Why would PC sales go up if you can just buy a tablet on the run and have your PC at home?

treeski and ddg4005 like this.

12. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,009   +103

No surprise here. Wake me when the first OEMs start dropping out.

13. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Seems like everyone here is poor or homeless...I'll wake you up when you come out of your dream state.

14. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

Loool.

15. treeski

Completely true... but I'm guessing what's technically true isn't what IDC thinks is true :p

16. treeski

Very true. My dad has a desktop that shipped in 2006 (Maybe 2005? It shipped with XP but with a free upgrade to Vista. Don't worry, it's running 7 now.), that still performs all web browsing, office and basic game that he needs. I assume there are many cases like this.

17. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 168   +23

Probably would be much less without the dogs dinner that is windows 8

18. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Booster Posts: 204   +35

Just throwing in my 2 cents. Desktop/Laptop computers are lasting longer with having better hardware inside of them. Most people that look to buy a "PC", try to buy one that will last many years. If a "PC" can continue doing what most consumers want it to do, why would they buy something new? The average consumer will keep using their computer until it ultimately fails on them, then they will spend money to get it fixed versus buying something new. Yes we will have enthusiasts (like myself) that do not buy computers but build their own and constantly looking to "make it better/faster". But from all the articles I have read on this subject, and you can correct me if I am wrong, we are not included on the statistics. I'd like to see stats on computer hardware sales and see if it is on the same decline as "PC" sales.

RenGood08 likes this.
  19. 2Q13 market share

16.7+16.3+11.8+8.3+6+40.8=99.9 not 100

20. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,724   +63

Pretty much every household has a pc, its called a smart phone

21. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Must make it a lot easier to do all your office, graphics, CAD and high-end gaming on having a mobile PC like that.

22. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,724   +63

90%+ people just look at fb or surf the web

23. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 78

Spot on! Problem is there is no innovation these days in the software market. Its been small and little steps these days. Not the huge leaps it was some years ago...

24. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

They are a fad. That said, you could barely count the number of hula hoops they sold.

So there you have it. Tablets are the "hula hoop" of computers.

25. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

Don't dis the Hula Hoop, they only died out because of so few that actually figured out how to use them. lol
    I on the other hand could only use them as an artificial halo. I lost my Hula Hoop and I've not had a halo since.

Everyone should have an artificial halo, even Obama has one. (y)
    [​IMG]

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.