PC shuts off after recent turn off / restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorris

Hello. I'm new on this site so hi to everyone and I hope you can help. I've seen a few posts along these lines but not exactly the same so -

Got a new PC from Evesham a couple of weeks ago - Core Duo E6400 / 2GB RAM . Worked fine but was supposed to have 2 x 200GB HD but only one fitted.
Evesham sent engineer with new drive on Tuesday.
But he couldn't physically installl the drive as intended as he wasn't given a bracket (the front panel USB cables inhibit installing it horizontally in the cage below fitted HD).
It was agreed that he would set the disk up on the system and arrange for the bracket and fixings to be sent out for me to fit myself.
Meanwhile the drive sits on the worksurface at the side of the case ( side panel is removed - who mentioned EMC ? ).
Engineer left disk to format - which it did . No apparent problem and PC used as normal.

But later I needed to Restart the PC when I was setting up some audio I/O.
The PC shut down but did not restart.
Testing / Observation since shows that it won't run successfully from Restart or if even I Turn Off then power back on within a short time ( I'm talking a minute or more - plenty of time for PSU to discharge etc.)
It always starts up but will shut off completely after a variable period - sometimes it will get through to showing desktop icons and it appears to be fine but then turns off.
When I say turn off I mean the power just goes off - fans ( case and processor / graphics ) stop.

It is fine after a while - It's fine first turn on after I get home from work and when I've tried it first thing in morning. I left it for an hour the other evening and that was okay.
I tried a restart end of yesterday evening and it started to run CHKDSK then turned off when that was running. Started okay this morning ( although I only left it on about 5 mins as I was leaving for work ).

The engineer did have to put an extending piece of power cabling in for the second disk drive.

Called Evesham support and it was suggested to perform a 'PSU Discharge' - unplug mains cable and hold front panel power in for 30 sec. and also go into BIOS and look at change ACPI SETTING s1/s3 although the guy didn't say which one should be correct.
I wasn't with PC at the time but will try asap - but it's not easy as if it fails 'll need to wait a good while beforre it works again !
I did the PSU discharge before first turn on last night but that usually work anyway and the restart still failed.

It's sounding more like an issue with the added HD / power cabling to me.
At first i was thinking it was a bad idea to disbale the Realtek 'device' for the onboard soundcard function. But I since re-enabled that and problem is the same.

This may be a daft question but is it a bad idea to just unplug the SATA and/or power for the second HD and try that or will the system throw up loads oferrors because it should have the HD.

If I don't sort it this evening I'll call Evesham support tomorrow when I am in front of the PC but any input appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

It shouldnt make a difference if the second drive is attached or not, so long as you still have one hdd attached with an os. Theoretically speaking it is unlikely that the drive is causing this problem, with hdd faults you usually find that the drive simply will not be detected, or the pc will freeze / display read-write errors. However I am experiencing similar issues myself and havnt been able to completely rule out the drive as of yet.

not yet resolved

just to say that I was on the 'phone with the tech support on Saturday.
Was running me through some BIOS settings when the machine just turned completely off. Technician visit to be arranged - I'll let you know how I get on...

If you bought and paid for a comp with certain components (eg, 2 drives), then why did they deliver/give you one with only some of the components?

Sounds shoddy to me.

If this support person doesn't have it up and running properly this next visit, send the whole kit and caboodle back and demand they either provide a WORKING and PROPERLY OUTFITTED replacement or refund your money.

I am a rabid consumer rights advocate.

:)

Well, yes indeed. Clearly something not 100% with their quality procedures - I'd have thought a relatively simple final checklist would be in place esp. when a major part of your business is custom configured PCs.
And I'm still waiting for the bracket mentioned - supply difficulties...Mmmm.

On the being reasonable side a supplier in general has the right to rectify errors in a reasonable manner. So far the actual interface with the support / customer care staff has been fairly good.
It's an annoying situation as it means I have to take time off work.
I really just want them to get it running as the idea of getting someoine else to put it all together is to avoid technical problems.
I do electronics all day and don't want to spend my spare time playing around with BIOS and registry settings etc.

So I'll see what happens Tuesday.

Cheers

safe mode

Cinders - yes. Similar in all modes - the time before shut off seems generally variable in all cases.
Tried them all - Safe, Last Known Good...etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Your computer crashing in safe mode strongly suggests that you have a hardware problem rather than a software problem. Some hardware piece is broken and no amount of tweaking is gonna fix it. As for which piece is broken I'm going to guess it's either your PSU, motherboard, video card, sound card, or hard drive. :) My real guess would be hard drive or PSU. I'm sure you know the make of your hard drive, so what I would do is download and burn an ISO of the hard drives diagnostic utility and I'd check the drive for problems while in DOS. I'd also remove everything from the computer except the video card, cd rom drive, and one hard drive. I'd also test each hard drive individually with its diagnostic utility.

Any real computer shop can test a PSU for you in about thirty seconds, and it would be quite predatory of them to charge you for a PSU check

Yes - I'm fairly certain it's a hardware fault and that's the conclusion the tech support came to which is why the tech is coming to me next week.
This fault only appeared after the second drive was installed ( by the tech ) and formatted.
It's a new PC - had it just a few weeks so I'll leave the tech to put it right. Thanks for the advice.

tech visit / hot cpu

Tech just came this afternoon. Diagnosed overheating CPU - BIOS reporting high 60s ( Celsius) when idling when it should , he says, be around 30 deg.
Fan working. Replaced CPU and idle temp showing as 29 or so. Ran routine to excercise CPU - tested okay.
Hopefully this is the fix.

PC seems okay after processor changes

Hi. Just to update that PC turn off prob now seems sorted after the processor change.
Does make you think about quality control / burn in issues though.
Thanks to all for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back