TechSpot

PC shuts off when installing Win XP Pro

By Kgarvin
Feb 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here are the specs for the computer I built.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with fan
    Mach Speed MS945G-GLV MB
    Seagate 250GB Sata HD
    Lite-on DVDRW Sata drive
    Two 1GB ultra memory
    Thermaltake 430 watts PS
    One 120mm fan
    Windows XP Pro OEM

I am trying to install Windows XP Pro onto my machine and it keeps shutting off when it starts the setup phase. Sometime it shuts off after it tries to boot from the CD. When I let it sit for a while, it seems to get a little farther in the process and then it shuts off. I have tried checking the ram and have tried every boot sequence. Any advice on what may be the problem. I think something is over heating whether it is my processor or my hard drive because before it didnt shut when I was in the bios. Now when I am in the bios for maybe 30 sec- 1 min, it shuts off.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,712

Go into the BIOS and check the values in the PC Health section.
    If the system locks up it might be a memory failure - try the system with one module at a time and in different slots to check this.

3. Kgarvin

Kgarvin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Figured out the problem was I didnt have my spacers installed and my heat sink was not properly seated. My machine is fully operational.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.