PC Shutting off seconds after powerup - before POST - no beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus79

Hi all,

I've been asked by a mate to take a look at his PC, it's been a while since I've done any hardware troubleshooting and I'm a bit behind,a couple of years behind!

The PC specs (roughly, will get actual specs later)are as follows:

M2N32 WS Pro
4GB RAM (not sure of FSB)
AMD64 6000 (again not 100% sure, will update later)
XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX
XFi Extreme Fidelity Sound Blaster
3 x HDD
1 x Blu Ray RW
1 x Blu Ray reader
1 x DVD RW

PSU Details:

DC Output +3.3 +5 +12v1 +12v2 +12v3 +12v4 -12 +5vsb

Output current 25A 30A 16A 16A 16A 16A 0.8A 3.0A

Max Combined ¦<--170W-->¦ <------------------672W----------------->¦ 9.6W 15
¦<-----------------------------715W---------------------->¦

Personally I think it's the PSU, I have a hunch that 730W just isn't enough to power this system. I suppose it could be the processor.

I unplugged all the optical drives and still no luck, doesn't even get to the POST...no beeps, nothing!

The main problem I have is that I having no compatible parts to swap about to troubleshoot.

If you need any more details let me know.

Thanks.

Edit: I realise there is a dedicated PSU forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place, but it could be related to other hardware.

Replace the power supply first just because they are cheaper than motherboards or CPU's... It might be bad. 700 watts is plenty for most systems. If you look at my specs, I run a 500 watt Antec Earthwatts power supply, with no trouble

I can get hold of an old Sempron Socket AM2, so I'm going to give that a go first as that won't cost anything, if that doesn't work then my mate will have to get a PSU.

Update:

I've put the PSU into a different PC, an old P4 system, it's fine, no problems whatsoever.

I just took the CPU out and powered up the system...it stays on! I'm guessing its the CPU shutting the PC down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back